Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I can't sleep

(8 Posts)
MrsO501 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:24:17

My 9 week old DS is doing quite well with his sleeping, he will sleep for a 5 hour stint from 10 pm ish and then another 3 hours after a feed. The problem is that I can't sleep. My mind is racing and I can't get to sleep and I just lay there thinking he will be awake soon. What is really wierd is that I don't even feel tired during the day now. Does anyone have any suggestions to help?

Sycamore76 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:37:42

I think this is common as a new mum, you cant relax as you are constantly waiting for baby to wake , like being on mummy duty. Have you tried to cut out caffeine ( obvious I know ) .

MrsO501 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:53:58

I have been drinking coffee actually, I think I was making the most of being able to have caffeine again after being pregnant! I will try cutting it out again.it's just so annoying as alk the advice I am getting is to sleep when the baby sleeps and I can't!!

Sycamore76 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:03:30

I have heard you shouldn't have caffeine after 2pm as it can keep you awake at night . I wish I had your problem ! I can't sleep because my 15 week old is going through a sleep regression...

MrsO501 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:06:44

I am sure we will be onto that next. Its so strange because I used to really struggle with lack of sleep and be able to drop off instantly and now even when DS is fast asleep in his moses basket I can't switch off. It's making me irritable and I am staying to be mean to my DP which is not helping.

Sycamore76 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:19:33

I have also experienced this . I think it's the anxiety of having a newborn. Do you have any other symptoms ? Low mood ? Not saying it's this but icould it be mild PND? Maybe worth visiting your doctor if it carries on.

MrsO501 Sat 20-Jun-15 20:49:52

I think it might be worth speaking to the gp about as it's so unusual for me. Thank you for your advice

FATEdestiny Sat 20-Jun-15 21:23:08

Just to reiterate the excellent advise Sycamore has given, if sleep deprived but not sleeping when given the opportunity to sleep - this is a red flag signal for PND. Tell your GP how you are feeling. Talk therapy might be enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now