Talk

Advanced search

9 week old suddenly sleeping more and feeding less

(7 Posts)
Sarajane123 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:18:50

Hi, I'm a first time mum and was just wondering if it's normal to have a day where baby sleeps all the time waking briefly for feeding but not drinking as much as usual (bottle fed) I have never known him to sleep like this. His temperature is fine any advice greatfully received.

FATEdestiny Sat 20-Jun-15 21:09:55

If memory serves me correctly, first immunisations are 8 weeks old, so last week?

My DD slept pretty much solidly when not feeding for 2 days about the third and fourth day after immunisations.

Sarajane123 Sat 20-Jun-15 21:19:11

Thanks for your reply but he hasn't had jabs yet we are still waitingsad so it's not that xx

FATEdestiny Sat 20-Jun-15 21:27:15

Oh.

Well, I generally work on the basis that for the first 12 weeks when baby isn't feeding s/he should be sleeping or trying to get to sleep. So maybe baby just wasn't getting enough sleep before and now is? At this age I wouldn't expect more than 60 minutes awake between naps, more like 20-30 minutes awake (including feed)

With such a young baby, the doctor won't mind seeing you if you are worried. A baby who isn't feeding well and is lethargic is worrying.

Sarajane123 Sat 20-Jun-15 21:31:00

Maybe that's it. we on Thursday on advice of doctor changed milk to comfort milk to help with colic and Friday we had a really happy smiley chatty baby but this changed today, maybe because he is not in pain much now he is catching up on lost sleep.

FATEdestiny Sat 20-Jun-15 21:49:17

I find that newborn babies sleep an awful lot more than your average FTM expects.

Sarajane123 Sat 20-Jun-15 22:03:09

Thank you you have been very helpful xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now