Talk

Advanced search

10 month old suddenly will only feed to sleep

(6 Posts)
Em1503 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:15:17

DD had finally started sleeping through and napping well in the day, but now it's all gone out of the window! She's started waking at night and is inconsolable, and she's the same when putting her down for a nap. She's crying for the boob and it's now the only way I can settle her. This hasn't been the case before. She's just started at the childminders so I'm wondering if it's linked to that? Desperation anxiety? I feel like we're going backwards! We we're cutting down the milk feeds and now she's having more again.

Em1503 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:16:54

Separation, not desperation!! smile I really don't know what to do for the best, she's so clingy generally at the moment, just ride it out? I've tried not feeding her but she works herself up into such a frenzy.

nyldn Fri 19-Jun-15 10:57:33

Our DS, 10 months this past weekend, has absolutely started freaking out at nap and bedtime. I'm thinking separation anxiety as well. I think ride it our is a quicker way through it. we're having the opposite problem with bf - refusing feeds but also refusing bottles/ cups with ebm. exhausting.

Minithemoocher Fri 19-Jun-15 11:01:11

My nearly 10 month old DD is the same! She'd just started going down really easily for naps and bed but is now kicking up the most almighty fuss. What does ride it out mean? Get her to sleep any way possible? Feed her to sleep? Put her in the sling? She's testing my patience...

FATEdestiny Fri 19-Jun-15 11:02:06

I'm not a psychologist but I could understand that she is seeking extra comfort from you at the moment.

Assuming she has spent the vast, vast majority of her entire life with you all of the time, it is going to be a huge wrench and change for her to suddenly spend her days with someone she has not met before, someone who is not you and who she is not (yet) bonded with.

Given this change, I could understand her seeking the extra reassurance and comfort from your breast and your cuddles when she is with you. It is a way for her to reaffirm her attachment and bond with you.

If it was me I would just do what she needs to feel secure and comforted, if that means feeding to sleep for a bit then I'd go with that. It won't be long term. Once she is feeling more attached to the childminder and so generally more secure and comforted, she should naturally need less reassurance from you.

Em1503 Fri 19-Jun-15 11:53:02

Yes it makes sense doesn't it. She's only at the childminders a few hours at a time but I suppose DD doesn't understand that. I'll go with it and give her what she needs. I just don't want all these extra feeds to become habit again. Thank you for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now