Talk

Advanced search

12 week old help

(10 Posts)
l999 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:31:43

My 12 week son goes to bed at 19:30 he wakes at 12:30 and 3:30 the only way to settle him is a feed (6 oz formula) we have tried a dummy but spent putting it back in every 10 mins or sooner for over 2 hours, at least he goes back to sleep better after a feed although I am sure he doesn't need it as can go 4 to 5 hours at times in day. The worst part is he is wide awake at 5:30 and won't settle back to sleep, again tried dummy but he wakes every 5 to 10 mins when this falls out. Any advice would b very much appreciated. I also have a 4 yr old so am extremely exhausted.

FATEdestiny Mon 15-Jun-15 10:57:53

At 12 weeks old your son need the night feeds. Feed him when he wakes.

He is likely to need fewer night feeds if you feed more frequently through the daytime. Try feeding every 3 hours through the daytime.

Maki79 Mon 15-Jun-15 11:01:58

This sounds very normal to me!

ilovehotsauce Mon 15-Jun-15 11:07:16

He still needs milk over night, he will also hit a growth spurt soon.

Keep doing what you are doing and try not to listen to liars "supermums" who say their 8 week old sleep through from 7-7.

5YearsTime Mon 15-Jun-15 11:07:57

I put my 11 week old to bed much later than that. 9.30/10.00 and she feeds a lot in the evening, but is breastfed so not sure how it would work with formula. She does have a quick nap for about 30 mins about 7:30 between feeds. Can he stay up a bit later

5YearsTime Mon 15-Jun-15 11:09:52

Sorry I hit post too soon!

Was about to say that keeping a baby up who wants to sleep can be impossible so just feed a bit more during the day if you can!

MumOfOne14 Mon 15-Jun-15 11:12:33

He still needs them, he's still so young. My DS is 6months old & still waking for a feed, I don't mind tho, cos he doesn't like a lot of milk in the day. smile You'll get there, still early days yet! wink

FATEdestiny Mon 15-Jun-15 11:13:27

The Mums aren't lying ilovehotsauce and neither are they supermums. All babies are different.

l999 Mon 15-Jun-15 16:54:23

Thanks for your reassurance guys. He is so tired by 7 despite lots of naps he is ready for bed. I know a lot of people reply by saying what's the problem but as a nervous mum it's just reassurance and advice I ask for. X

5YearsTime Mon 15-Jun-15 18:13:44

Do you have a partner to share the night burden. One of you takes the 12.30, the other takes the 3.30? I'm fortunate because my LO does sleep through but before she did DH used to keep her downstairs for a few hours so that I could have a few hours blissful peaceful sleep. I'm breastfeeding so that's all he could do but it kept me sane. If you are bottle feeding then even more should be possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now