Napping hell with 4.5month old

(6 Posts)
freneticfox Sat 13-Jun-15 15:06:15

Whether it's sleep regression or something else, I need help.

My DS is just over 17 weeks old and for the past couple of weeks has been having rough nights, which are JUST about starting to improve a little. Naps during the day however are a completely different kettle of fish.

First of all, after he starts showing signs of being tired, he'll often go almost straight into Turbo Force Scream Monster in less than a couple of monsters. So then before he can sleep, it takes me a good half hour of soothing to calm him down, and god forbid I actually put him down in his crib/bed/somewhere else that is safe for him to sleep. I'll then give up and let him fall asleep on me. I'll then ninja him down, but he never EVER sleeps longer than 30 mins and he wakes up screaming every time. Every. Time.

DH and I both try soothing him back to sleep, using white noise, shush-pat, dummies, the lot. But he'll continue screaming until he's been picked up and walked around with. Sit down with him and he starts up again. He'll calm down enough for feeds and nappy changes and he might even look at his own hands long enough for me to have a sandwich. Might. But then it's repeat the whole process over and over again until bedtime. He goes down relatively easy though he will have a very short screaming fit. He'll then dream feed between 10-11pm, once at 3am, and then up anywhere between 5-7am.

I'm emotionally drained. I can't take him out. I lie awake most nights dreading the following day, knowing it will be spent shushing and walking around the house.

How on earth can I get him to take longer naps? He's waking up already over tired and he goes from slight grizzle to ear-busting screams in next to no time and it's wearing me down.

Help.

freneticfox Sat 13-Jun-15 16:06:24

*minutes not monsters. God, im tired.

Pandasandmonkeys Sat 13-Jun-15 16:27:06

I really sympathise. My dd is 6 mo and we also have nap, as well as night time, struggles. If you drive, it might help to go out in the car for a good long drive. With my Ds when he went through a phase like this around the same age, we went driving every day for long naps until he's caught up on sleep and was no longer so overtired that he couldn't get into a deep sleep.after that he was much much easier to put down and napped for hours smile It worked well and really helped reset his body clock.
Unable to do it with Dd as ds(now 2.5) is horribly car sick and we can't go anywhere!

Milkyway1304 Sat 13-Jun-15 16:35:09

Will he sleep in a sling? Or his pram? Some babies just have short naps, I think it's developmenral. But at least if you have hands free while he naps you can do something!

freneticfox Sun 14-Jun-15 08:41:44

No matter where he is, he'll start to fall asleep and then suddenly jolt. Instantly he starts literally screaming. It's awful. I just don't know what to do sad

fredandme123 Sun 14-Jun-15 09:55:34

We have similar age babies and we have some similar issues, I have a struggled to get him to stay asleep when put down asleep since he was born so I have worked a lot on the whole drowsy but awake thing. When he gets into an overtired screaming fit I put him in the cot and soothe him with patting hand holding shushing dummy etc there as once he is asleep he is asleep (granted it can take and hour) I then don't have to start again when I put him down! I have found that since doing this he will nap for longer than me putting him down asleep. I'm not going to lie there was a lot of crying to begin with but he would scream in my arms so at least this way it wasn't straight into my ear and I was right there comforting him.

My baby also has reflux which I have generally attributed the difficulties too - have you researched silent reflux?

We have very unsettled nights.Things improved earlier this week to only once or twice waking before feeding at 3-4 am after I did the following (which could be utterly coincidental)but one might be worth trying;

-tuck him in tight under a giant muslin (Aden and anais Swaddle)
-White noise much louder than usual (how he sleeps with that racket I don't know)
-leave window open all night and add blankets to keep him warm
-turn the light off on the monitor - we have the angel care one and the halo gives off quite a glow.

Hope things improve - I know that hearing it's just a phase doesn't help and sometimes you want to scream when someone says that. One of my mummy friends gave me a good mantra of 'this will pass' and she survived 3 under 2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now