Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Co- sleeping questions

(7 Posts)
Pandasandmonkeys Sat 13-Jun-15 11:21:00

I posted recently about 6mo Dds awful sleeping and reluctance to settle in her cot. After a nightmare week of crying (me and her) and trying a little cc, returning every few mins, she's back in our bed, we're all exhausted and wondering what to do next.

I'm Seriously considering co-sleeping on a long term basis. I'm ok with all the safety elements as we've co-slept a little already and also with Ds, but never long term, only on bad nights, while teething etc.
but I've got some practical questions:
At what age did your dc settle in their own bed?
How did you achieve this?
Was your sex life totally ruined? Did dp sleep in a spare room?
Did this prolong breastfeeding longer that you'd have liked? (I'm happy to go to a year)
Did it make dc more clingy, find it more difficult to separate when you returned to work?

Would really appreciate your thoughts x

Andcake Sat 13-Jun-15 11:32:34

Ok we were similar with ds becoming awful at 6 months and making a decision then to co sleep.
To give us more space so DP could stay in the bed we side carred our cot google it there are good tips.
Sex life - make the most of weekend naps but yes it stalled it for a while.
I tried getting him back properly on the cot for ages but at 18 months or so gave up bought him a big boy bed and made it very dark. It was a single bed and the plan was that if he woke I went into him not viva versa after 3 days he slept through.
Now at 2.5 he sleeps through 5 out of 7 days a week
It's been tough but it works ish

RigglinJigglin Sun 14-Jun-15 22:54:40

OP, we co sleep through necessity DD is 2 and a bit. Not yet in her own bed.

We have a huge SK bed so DP is in with us, he's on one side, I'm in the middle, DD the other side with a bed rail.

Our sex life doesn't revolve round our bed and never has, we utilise the spare room wink

It has definately prolonged bf, and I have mixed feelings about that. I'd like to stop but dd isn't buying it.

I actually like cosleeping more when is gone back to work! It meant I got to be close to DD for far longer than I would have otherwise.

Springtimemama Sun 14-Jun-15 23:33:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pandasandmonkeys Mon 15-Jun-15 20:41:11

Thanks for your replies. As a last resort this week I've tried PUPD with some success and she's improved a little but won't sleep longer than 2 hours without waking. So I'm still shattered and now have a heavy cold so she's back in our bed tonight as I can't face an hour of lifting her up and down (at 20lbs she's a lump)

Springtimemama Mon 15-Jun-15 21:07:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Azquilith Mon 15-Jun-15 21:11:00

I love cosleeping as I work FT and like my DS to know he's got me in the night. Plus it's been a sleep lifesaver. It did prolong breastfeeding but I went away with work for 5 days when he was 18 months (now 2.2) and that cracked the bf, hard few days for DP but he didn't want it when I got back.
We've just invested in a super king bed, and he is starting to show interest in his own bed, sleeping tonight on ours but in his own duvet so I don't think it will be long.
And I'm expecting DC2 so we found a way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now