Talk

Advanced search

Belly sleeping and bed sharing

(4 Posts)
AnnaS19 Wed 10-Jun-15 23:18:42

Hi all my 7 month old started sleeping through for the first time ever 2 nights ago. Previous to this he was waking me every 3 hours to breastfeed. As you can imagine this was exhausting and the sleeping through was very welcome. I can't actually believe he finally did it. I think the change in sleep behaviour has come about as he has started to roll onto his belly and sleeps like that all night. To add to this, he sleeps next to me in my bed (I'm a single parent so it's only the 2 of us in the bed). I originally had him in bed with me to make it easier for the night feeds but now it's become a habit which I'm fine with, however I'm a bit concerned with safety.

I know once they start rolling themselves it's fine to let them sleep in a position of their choosing but I also wonder if this is the case when bed sharing. Has anyone had any experience with this? I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts . As you can imagine, I would love to continue as we are - the extra sleep is much needed but I would never want to do anything unsafe. Thanks!

ElleOhElle Thu 11-Jun-15 20:14:26

I don't know the answer I'm afraid but in a similar situation. my DS starts off on his back then works his at over to me and snuggles in. I love the cuddles but would prefer him to sleep in his bed as it's safer.

Acorncat Sat 13-Jun-15 12:38:48

As long as the same rules apply as a cot - firm mattress, tight sheet, no pillows/duvets then I don't see how it can be any less safe. Mine is the same, and I do also worry, I admit I do roll him back to his side sometimes if he's on his front. I don't believe bed sharing is any less safe than their own bed as long as all guidelines are followed.

cabbageleaf Sun 14-Jun-15 16:54:23

I agree with Acorncat, the same rules must apply, and I often find adult mattresses are not firm enough. If your mattress is firm and he is at a safe distance from your pillow and duvet, then I shouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now