Talk

Advanced search

transition from sleeping bag to quilt

(12 Posts)
redbook Mon 08-Jun-15 19:33:30

Hi,
My 20 month old has never been an amazing sleeper but in the last few months we've been able to put him in his cot awake and leave the room for him to fall asleep alone. He always has had a sleeping bag.

Yesterday, as the weather is getting warmer, I decided to switch to a quilt, hoping he would get used to pulling it up around himself by winter.

However, he seems to be enjoying his new found leg freedom and is running around his cot and won't go to sleep. , but screams when I leave. did this last night too

Has anyone else done the transition from sleeping bag to quilt and have any tips? Or any experience on how long it takes before the novelty wears off?

Thanks

AngelBlue12 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:49:16

Use a lightweight sleeping bag?

Needsweetstosurvive Mon 08-Jun-15 20:11:53

Surely a sleeping bag is lighter than a quilt? My 14mo DS has always had a cot duvet but since it's warmer he just has a cellular blanket. You could get a summer sleeping bag? Other than that I'm sure the novelty will wear off pretty quickly. You could sit with him and encourage him to lie still and fall asleep until he is used to it?

jn367502 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:30:01

We switched to a quilt about 3 weeks ago and to begin with my little boy was the same. I just tucked him in the covers when he fell asleep. He has now got the idea and loves sleeping under his quilt. just keep persevering and you will be fine

FATEdestiny Mon 08-Jun-15 20:39:44

We changed from using a sleeping bag at the same time as moving from cot to toddler bed - since a sleeping bag in a bed isn't practical.

We made the transition by using a standard single duvet (you could use a quilt) rather than a toddler sized one. Being bigger means it can be put across-ways on the bed and so tucked in at both sides of the bed.

As others have mentioned. If your DS is still in a cot, then a 1 tog sleeping bag would be a better idea.

Joneseygirl77 Mon 08-Jun-15 20:44:50

You can also get 0.5 tog sleeping bags in Jo Jo Maman Bebe. They are pricey for what they are but great for holidays or very hot weather and I think they go up to a size 3 yrs.

redbook Mon 08-Jun-15 20:51:48

Thanks for the comments. I'd like to persevere with the blanket/quilt/duvet as come winter he will be in a bed and will need one.

I'd also rather not go back to laying with him to get to sleep. It feels like a big step back given it took so long to be able to leave him in his room awake.

Seems like I'll just have to put up with playful bedtimes for a bit and hope he gets bored of it soon. Although it is lovely how everything new excites them.

FATEdestiny Mon 08-Jun-15 20:53:44

Why would going back to a sleeping bag mean going back to laying with him to go to sleep?

Flissity83 Mon 08-Jun-15 21:46:06

I would just persevere.i too would probably just leave him regardless of if he called out. But then that's me.

TheVeryHungryPreggo Mon 08-Jun-15 21:58:31

We moved to a quilt this time last year as DS started to get a few head bumps in the cot when he tripped himself up on the sleeping bag. He was about 18 months then.

If I'm honest he didn't get the hang of sleeping under it til winter. Our flat is always warm and even though we tucked him in every night, he used to curl up and nest on top of it - he has started to do that again now the weather has gotten warmer, but he is well able to pull the covers up now when he gets cold, and snuggle in.

Don't stress about him keeping covers on or off, he will regulate his own body temp and he's at the right age for learning to do it. Our DS is a hot blooded little chap who never seems to feel cold, I've occasionally walked in on cold mornings to find him on top of the quilt and his bare feet hot to touch - so I've concluded he is fine!

mummy2pickle Mon 08-Jun-15 22:44:09

I have literally just started the transition tonight. My dd is 14 months but is big so sleeping bags are starting to become restrictive for her. She's also waking early so wondered if too hot so thought good time to introduce duvet so she can move it if hot. I've found I'm worse than her, she's happily gone to sleep but I keep going in to put duvet back over her. I'm sure when she wakes in morning and realises she can move I'll have hell. Think it might just be because it's new and change takes a while to get use to x

redbook Thu 11-Jun-15 19:15:31

Thanks to everyone who replied. Just an update for others in the same position. DS returned to his normal sleep by night 4 - I just needed some patience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now