Talk

Advanced search

4am Wake ups, please help!

(12 Posts)
QuietNinjaTardis Fri 05-Jun-15 11:23:21

My dd over the last couple of months has started waking earlier and earlier. Going from 6am and now waking somewhere between 4 and 4.30. She will not go back to sleep. If me or Dh go in to her she'll lay down for another half hour but she won't sleep again.
We've tried blackout blinds, white noise, feeding, leaving her, laying next to cot. She's 18 months and we are struggling to cope now. Any suggestions?
Tia

karmagetsyou Fri 05-Jun-15 11:24:16

What is her nap pattern in the day?

QuietNinjaTardis Fri 05-Jun-15 11:24:18

Oh and she goes to bed at 7 and still has two naps as waking so early means she's wrecked by 9am.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 05-Jun-15 11:26:33

Can you try keeping her awake for a bit at nine? I sometimes find that if I force my twenty month old stay awake when they have woken at an unreasonable hour, rather than letting them have a good old nap, it can slightly reset their body clock.

karmagetsyou Fri 05-Jun-15 11:28:13

Ok as tough as this will be - should take 3/4 days.

Bed at 7pm keep to that.

Only one nap a day 12-2pm, no later than 2pm.

That should sort it smile

karmagetsyou Fri 05-Jun-15 11:30:36

You need to keep her awake at around 9am tough as she exhausted but within 3 or 4 days she will hopefully not be waking early, and then the 12pm long lunchtime nap and keep her going till 7pm smile

Saltedcaramel2014 Fri 05-Jun-15 11:38:32

Sorry to hear about this - and to be a downer on the suggestion above. Ds (2) has the suggested schedule (bed at 7 and naps 12-2) and he still wakes at 4 or 5. It's really tough. I'm resigned to him being an early riser, as I was, and go to bed myself at 9.30. Shifting bedtime back gradually to 7.30 did help for a while. Sorry no solutions but you have my massive sympathies!

QuietNinjaTardis Fri 05-Jun-15 12:10:16

I can try one nap but on the rare days she's had one nap it's not made any difference. Willing to try it a few days in a row see if it helps though.

TerrifiedMothertobe Fri 05-Jun-15 22:16:13

This is so early, how can you cope?

At 18 months she should be moving to one nap but it's hard. You may have to give her q boost at 9am to get through. Chic Buttons? Then a nap at midday. Go for one long one until she catches up. Don't wake her. As long as she's up by around 3 you should be fine. Remember sleep does breed sleep. She's just out of sync. Good luck

karmagetsyou Sat 06-Jun-15 11:42:37

You need to be persistent & constant for as long as it takes. I Promise you will get there smile

karmagetsyou Mon 08-Jun-15 21:43:25

How's it going OP?

QuietNinjaTardis Fri 12-Jun-15 19:50:55

Have been trying her on one nap all week and she's been really unsettled at night too. Several nights she's been awake for at least two hours and then up early. My mil is staying so don't know of that has unsettled her a bit. We have taken her pillow out of her cot as Dh suggested that the early wakings may have started around the time I put it in and she slept through last night until 5.20 which was quite miraculous. She's been snotty today so will see how she is tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now