Talk

Advanced search

Constantly crying out in sleep, help :(

(4 Posts)
NaiceNickname Thu 04-Jun-15 11:54:26

I am on my knees today, and every day lately it seems. DS is 5mo, and has been very luckily sleeping through from around 9pm to between 7 and 8am since he was around 3.5mo. He is teething no doubt about it. He no longer feeds at night, but every night he is constantly crying out in his sleep from around 3/4am until we get up. He is still asleep when he does this, he just cries out - mainly for his dummy, or if I think it is a pain cry I will give him some anbesol and he will settle down but still continues to cry out constantly.

Last night was particularly bad, hence my post. Started crying out in his sleep around 11pm so much that he did actually wake himself up for a while. Seemed to be in pain so I gave him some calpol, anbesol... settled back to sleep for 10 minutes and then BAM. Awake, screaming so bad I had to rock him to sleep, put him back into his cot and then that was it... waking every 20 minutes crying out in his sleep even when he still had his dummy in. He'd had medicine, he'd had teething gel, he wasn't hot or cold, he was dry, didn't want to feed, so what the fuck?!

I'd rather just go back to night feeding and then be able to go back to sleep rather than constantly being woken up multiple times per hour for no obvious reason. It's really starting to affect me, each day I am feeling more and more tired, and poor DD is starting to suffer because i am just so bloody tired all the time. I wasn't even this tired when he was a newborn and cluster feeding all night!

What can this be? I can handle being woken for a reason but this just seems to pointless which has me swearing into my pillow and ready to cry with tiredness and frustration at 4am, whilst DH sleeps like a baby (just not our one) next to me.

FATEdestiny Thu 04-Jun-15 18:40:56

Sleep development isn't linear. Also calorific need changes constantly in the first 12 months.

I would feed. "crying out in sleep" really is just crying, baby will be unhappy about something.

I would try bringing back a night feed or two and see how that helps.

Jackiebrambles Thu 04-Jun-15 18:44:17

Does he refuse a feed?

I'd definitely be feeding at that age. My ds fed at night til at least 11 months.

Jackiebrambles Thu 04-Jun-15 18:46:22

But it could be a combination of teething and a developmental leap - is he getting close to rolling over or anything like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now