Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning but not 'Sleep Training, possible?

(6 Posts)
Buglife Fri 29-May-15 10:47:47

I have a 9 month DS. On 3 solids meals a day, eats well, has about 20oz milk during the day give or take a couple. He still has 1-2 night feeds which add up to about another 10+oz overnight, around 12 and 4am is the pattern. I have been avoiding doing much about this as I've wanted to wait until he grew out of it, he's a late baby so I always felt he needed his milk, and also as he feeds quickly and 9 times out of 10 is back in his cot asleep within 20 mins it's been something I can cope with. But the regularity of it and the fact he has so much during the day has started to convince me it is becoming habit and one he could now do without. But all the sleep training 'methods' seem based on getting babies to 'sleep through' and also lean towards training the baby that you won't be going in to them overnight. I don't mind if DS doesn't sleep through yet,, he is good at going down 7.30-8pm, sleeps in his room, has the two feeds, possibly a random shush pat or quick cuddle resettling for some other issue and up around 6-6.30am. I don't want him waking for milk by habit and I'd like to be able to resettle him without milk, but I will always go in to him if he cries (just started getting teeth) so the methods based on CC etc aren't really any use to me. Writing all this makes me see he's certainly not the worst sleeper in the world and I'm not bothered about getting 8 hours a night myself if he needs me, so am I just destined not to be able to stop night feeds?!
His night routine is bath, dress for bed then he feeds to sleep and I put him in the cot. He can on occasion self settle but because he nearly always falls asleep feeding or when his dummy goes in he goes in the cot asleep nearly every time. He naps in his cot twice a day well. I am thinking to change his routine to dress and bottle and story in our room then take him to his room. But he's always gone down ok so again I don't feel the need to change this really.

Any advice on ways to stop the bottles?!

Buglife Fri 29-May-15 11:01:27

Large baby, not late baby!

FATEdestiny Fri 29-May-15 11:03:22

What about changing the night feeds to water?

You would still be getting up to him. Still be 'feeding' him from a bottle. Still there to cuddle and shush as needed.

Buglife Fri 29-May-15 11:27:39

Yes, that's something I was thinking about, but I worried that he'd still dutifully wake twice a night for his water smile but if he gradually stopped that would be fine, I'm not in a huge hurry. I'd happily go cold turkey and just go in and sit half the night cuddling and resettling if need be for a while but I don't know if that would even work. He has a dummy so he's got that form of comfort. I can sometimes settle him with a quick turn on of Ewan the Sheep, dummy and a tummy rub. But I don't think that's going to work if he's expecting a feed! And I don't want to not get him out of the cot if he's upset.

FATEdestiny Fri 29-May-15 12:01:28

well yes, he may dutifully wake for his night water smile.

We recently night weaned our DD off milk at night but she still usually wakes for her water. She drinks far less than she would milk - usually only 3 or 4 oz now and consistently reducing as time goes on.

But the water does night wean which is what you suggested you wanted from your title.

You could just go cold turkey and cuddle etc if you want to. I guess it's which is the lesser of two evils. You will get there in the end swapping to water. It will take time for the amount drank to gradually reduce to nothing. Or do it all in fast-forward by going cold turkey.

Like you, I don't at all mind getting up in the night to my DD, since it isn't actually any hassle for us. So swapping to water is the easiest and less stressful all-round.

Buglife Fri 29-May-15 12:12:19

Yes, he's less likely to wake for his water after a while! I can see on these threads people at the end of their tether and was waiting to feel that myself, but as he's not a terrible sleeper (bar occasional nights of wind etc where he's a bugger to get back in the cot) I don't feel so desperate that I want to go through the sometimes difficult trauma of sleep training. I just want him to stop feeding every 4 hours! I am back at work 2 days I. July though so I might not cope so well then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now