Need pearls of wisdom from experienced mums. 10 Week old sleep patten

(9 Posts)
lozzy1982 Thu 28-May-15 19:47:29

Hi mums, so i have a 10 week old ds. We recently started putting him to bed of an eve upstairs in his moses, in our room with the angelcare on. Our routine is about 6.30 bath followed by some baby massage, book and bottle at 7. Weve been doing this for about 2 weeks now and seems to be workin. Ok, tho its hit and miss how long it takes from 7pm to get him to sleep. Sometimes i am downstairs by 7.30, other nights its been 9pm.
Despite what time ds eventually nods off, he has been waking between 11 and 1. Only one time he has slept till 2. We were amazed. When he wakes we feed him, changed nappy, and he goes back to asleep usually no problem. However, come about 3am we start to hear some really loud grunting, noises that sound like he is being sick but when we look he hasnt been (he has been diagnosed with reflux which we give him gaviscon and colief for). The noises are really horrible to hear and eventually he seems to wake himself up with them. Wierdly, when we pick him up and put hjm on our cheat he stops and nods off again. Has anyone else had these noises?
So, after this wake up, we feed again and from that point we are pretty much up. He slips between sleep and awake and wont go in his moses. Usually he has to sleep on us and might occasionaly go in his chair. As you can imagine those 3am wake ups after a few weeks are killing us now and i am walking round looking like a dead dog. Advice or reassaurance that this is normal really needed. You read so much on here and friends babies sleeping all through the night. I wonder when our break through may come? Thanks for reading!!

dependentspouse Thu 28-May-15 21:46:51

I wouldn't consider myself an expereinced mum by any means - have just had DD2 - but thought I would reply as we fell into this trap with DD1.

I thought I was fantastic getting her into a bedtime routine so early, but what I have learnt since then was that most tiny babies only seem to do one 'big' sleep in a 24 hour period, so we enjoyed civilised evenings having dinner, watching TV etc, while she had her 'big' sleep from the early evening and 1am-ish, but then no sleep when we actually wanted to sleep! I also spent a lot of time in a darkened bedroom between 7 and 9pm trying to get her to sleep which was actually hugely stressful in retrospect.

So with DD2 we are being much more relaxed in the evenings, she will feed (BF) and doze on and off in her Coccoonababy until I go to bed and bring her up with me around 10.30 or 11, when she will have a final feed and go for a few solid hours, wake for a feed and then go another few hours. She is only 3 weeks though so lots of changes ahead smile.

Maybe someone with more sleep expertise will be along shortly to give you some suggestions, but if I were you I would be abandoning the very early bedtime routine, shifting it so that bath leads to a feed around 8pm, then a sleep but waking him for a last feed around 11pm. The 11pm feed will be maintained as the dreamfeed, and the 8pm bedtime will shift a bit earlier as he gets more active I would imagine. You have established the sleep triggers with your solid bedtime routine which will stand to you, it is just a matter of shifting everything a little later? smile

lozzy1982 Fri 29-May-15 07:57:28

Thanks for this advice im going to try it tonight. I have tried the dreamfeed previously but he only took a couple of ozs and just doesnt seem interested. His reflux is ruling a lot of what we do unfortunately sad

lozzy1982 Fri 29-May-15 07:57:28

Thanks for this advice im going to try it tonight. I have tried the dreamfeed previously but he only took a couple of ozs and just doesnt seem interested. His reflux is ruling a lot of what we do unfortunately sad

ODog Sat 30-May-15 21:34:19

My DS was exactly the same as a tiny baby. He would grunt and strain so loudly from around 3am. As you have noticed it seemed to stop when he was on his front, so we eventually allowed him to sleep in his front (although not recommended). As soon as he was rolling he rolled over and slept on his front of his own accord and still does.

plinkyplonks Sun 31-May-15 05:39:55

My DD is 10 weeks old - made the mistake of trying a 7pm bedtime. Backfired massively as she was up on/off all night long. We take her to bed at 10pm when we go to sleep, with naptime on sleephead before then. Seems to have done this trick as her big sleep at night allows me to get just enough sleep to cope with the day again! DD also has reflux!

PomeralLights Sun 31-May-15 05:46:10

3am noises are likely to be wind. It's very common to get 3/4am trapped wind at that age. No advice really, sorry, we are just waiting for dd to grow out of it (she's definitely improving, now 5 months, she just farts a lot at her 5:30am wake up which thankfully DH deals with smile )

Bearcubmumma Tue 02-Jun-15 08:33:55

We have this same problem, did the sleep improve when you changed the timing lozzy1982?
My son is now 12 weeks, the grunting seems to have got better but the night waking with tossing and turning has not.

PomeralLights Tue 02-Jun-15 09:26:25

If it is wind, the best long term cure is tummy time and time in a sling or carrier. The sooner they can sit up unaided the sooner they can push out farts themselves unaided. It's the same muscles. Not a short term solution though sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now