Talk

Advanced search

7 year old has us up every night!

(7 Posts)
Kiwi87 Thu 28-May-15 08:10:03

Advice wanted:
Every night pretty much, My daughter wakes up about 10 every night calling out, making noise, whinging, loud... NOT crying tears, just noise. She has done this for years, it is NOT night terrors, as she knows we are there when we go in, plus she used to have them so I recognise them, it isn't nightmares because when she has a nightmare she reacts quite calm and tells us have had a bad dream ect, and she is easy deal with, it seems to be a bad habit of crying out that she has done since a baby every time she wakes up..... Any advice on how to get her to break this habit? Would be lovely for her to stay up late in the holidays watch films in bed ect but with broken sleep every night just can't let her and it's not fair sad doctors were useless. Any advice? Anyone experienced the same thing?

AddictedtoGreys Thu 28-May-15 16:04:02

sorry haven't experienced this so no real advice, but what does she want when you go into her? what happens if you ignore her?

Twooter Thu 28-May-15 16:09:34

Also have this problem, but in my case with a twelve year old. Wakes up every night between 1 and 3., and shouts for me until I go through. When I have tried refusing or getting angry, she makes a huge amount of noise and wakes the other two dc. Children's sleep books don't cover it, insomnia books that I triedhad techniques that didn't seem suitable.

KillmeNow Thu 28-May-15 16:17:41

Its surely just a habit.
What is your Dd getting out of this ? What do you do when you go into her?
Whatever it is I would stop rewarding her behaviour.

There is nothing a 7 (or indeed 12) year old needs that they cannot manage for themselves and she needs to understand this. Show her how to get whatever she needs quietly and without fuss. Reward progress with this in the same way you would other behaviours.

Twooter Thu 28-May-15 16:40:43

My dd is scared at night. She almost needs someone there so she can relax enough to go to sleep. Cant remember the last time she went to sleep by herself - we do leave her, without screens - but she is still wide awake when we go to bed, be it 10pm or 12. With someone in her room she sleeps in seconds.

GotABitTricky Tue 02-Jun-15 21:21:00

Similar, got 11 year old who cant nod off to sleep and can spend 3 hours or more shouting out. Seems to want to wake young sister 2 room away on purpose. And then acts all jealous when one of us comfort young sister.

Attention seeking really, as nothing seems wrong with him. Once dropped off, usually its ok, or maybe one shouting session about 3am.

Frustrating for him, but we are on our knees currently as happens 5 nights out of 7 on average. Been to doctors. Nowt changed. I still almost falling asleep at desk at work.

GotABitTricky Mon 08-Jun-15 21:24:26

.... any progress from original posters above?

Here its one good night and one awful one just now.

The good nights are not great, but acceptable. I suspect he is too tired to make a fuss those nights, rather than having kicked his habit of shouting out for attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now