Talk

Advanced search

I've created a juice monster....who won't sleep!

(13 Posts)
Wtfmummy Wed 20-May-15 03:57:59

Hi everyone

I'm a Mumsnet virgin - always admired from afar - but I could really do with some advice at the moment. I'm a full time working Mummy to 2 boys, first one is soon to be 4 and sleeps like a blooming angel. Second one is 2 in a couple of months and is a total nightmare at bedtime. The boys share a bedroom and both go down to sleep at 7.30pm, usually with no problems. DS2 will sleep for 3-4 hours and then the fun begins.... He can be up around 6 times a night always wanting juice and totally kicks off if it's not forthcoming. He's pretty obsessed with juice in the daytime too and I think I have created a juice monster by giving in all the time to keep him happy... I am so aware that they share a room and I want DS1 to get s good nights sleep that I'm in to DS2 at the slightest noise he makes... I know I am doing this all wrong!!! I know I should just let him cry it out but he is so stubborn and strong willed that he would cry for ages and definitely wake his brother up...

Add to the mix that I'm due to have DS3 in a couple of months time and in starting to panic somewhat....

How do I uncreate this juice monster?? Any advice appreciated- thank you!

PannaDoll Wed 20-May-15 04:35:53

What sort of juice are you giving him that he's fully sugar addicted at two? Either water the 'juice' down, give water only or let him cry it out.

My two year old drinks water and milk. I wouldn't dream of letting her drink liquid sugar (for my own selfish reasons which your post has reinforced).

Wtfmummy Wed 20-May-15 06:40:06

Sorry I should have been clearer - it's a sugar free watered done (a lot) squash. No added sugar.

Wtfmummy Wed 20-May-15 06:47:13

I also don't think (I may of course be wrong) but u don't think it's that he's addicted. I think it's become a habit to comfort by having a drink - be it squash, milk, water etc.

Needsweetstosurvive Wed 20-May-15 10:40:05

Just give water, he will soon get used to it!

Needsweetstosurvive Wed 20-May-15 10:40:43

Or at least tell him juice in the day, water at night and stick to it!

thetroubleis Wed 20-May-15 10:42:26

He's not addicted, it's sugar free squash, not crack!

Honestly, just tell him it's bad for his teeth, it's water or nothing and batten down the hatches. He's old enough to have some understanding and never, ever negotiate with terrorists! wink

BrianButterfield Wed 20-May-15 10:44:06

We had a mini juice addiction here. I basically just stopped giving it. Asking for a drink? Milk or water. Kicking off? Ok, you don't want a drink then.

Now DS drinks milk or water 95% of the time. He can have a lemonade on Friday and the very odd squash if I'm making myself one (not even once a week), which means I don't mind him having a Capri Sun or something when we go out. It seems really insurmountable but actually you just have to draw a line in the sand. Maybe he'll kick off, but he's kicking off anyway, so why not get your own way!

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-May-15 11:05:50

Mine liked slightly warm water as a baby, and still likes it as a teenager. He will usually choose water over anything else, most days. (I won't - it's certainly not my good example he's following.) If water is all you give him, then he will get to like it.

(Not what you asked, but I am not a fan of sugar-free drinks, because I'm not really a fan of artificial sweeteners, except perhaps stevia. If mine is ever having a fizzy drink, I'd rather he had full fat than diet.)

Wtfmummy Wed 20-May-15 12:44:51

Thank you all for your replies! I think you hit the nail on the head BrianButterfield and Thetroubleis - I need to stand my ground and he'll adjust. I definitely have made a rod for my own back here.

Thanks again - my first time on Mumsnet and I appreciate the support x

FATEdestiny Wed 20-May-15 14:16:17

The fact that you son is having sugar free squash and the fact that he is waking several times a night are unrelated to each other.

Many people have the same issues with children waking and demanding milk. When parents constantly give in to the demands and give the drink at every wake up, it becomes a habit and a crutch.

What the drink is doesn't matter, you just need to bite the bullet and no longer give drinks over night. Not at all. I do not believe that changing to water will help you, he'll still wake up demanding a drink at all hours.

Unless he has a medical issue, he should be able to get enough hydration throughout the daytime and so should not be thirsty routinely at night. Definitely not to this extent. So tell him (and mean it) that he will not get any drinks at night. He can have his one bedtime drink and then that's it. You'll have a few very difficult nights but once he has accepted it, he should hopefully stop waking for a drink and sleeping better.

Make sure through all of this that he has plenty enough daytime fluids to not be thirsty. I see no issue with sugar free squash as a source of hydration throughout the daytime, but others will disagree. Personally I would rather my children drink plenty of water in the form of squash rather than drinking much less plain water.

worldgonecrazy Wed 20-May-15 14:23:14

Is there any reason he is unable to have a drink of water next to his bed so that he doesn't have to disturb you when he wants a drink? If you're worried about spillages give it to him in a non-spill sippy cup regardless of whether he feels like a baby!

Is it because he is frightened and/or wants company and the drink is just a reason?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Wed 20-May-15 19:54:16

Was going to suggest what ^^ said re drink by bed. Bit harsh to deny ANY drink at night. I have a glass of water by my bed, why shouldn't a 2yo? Sports drink type bottle could work. Maybe you could pick it out together and he may like the idea?
My 2.10yo still wakes occasionally and wants milk. We give him a splash of milk and he goes back to sleep. Am not bothered by him waking as its only takes 90sec to get it, but not great for teeth so it's one to tackle soon. Will prob offer water etc as others have suggested. There will be a protest but it doesn't take long for them to get used to it.
A few broken nights for DS1 maybe but better in the long run

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now