Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

10 year old sleepwalking/waking confused?

(6 Posts)
Elphaba75 Thu 07-May-15 12:22:35

My 10 year old has started having 'funny' episodes at night, usually after 1 to 2 hours sleep he gets up the first time he went straight to his sisters room put the light on and stood there? His sister asked him if he was ok, what did he want ? He said 'doesn't matter' and left to go to the toilet . His sister asked him if he was ok? He said yes. She asked again why he put their bedroom light on and he said 'I don't know ask someone who knows?' And went back to bed. ( he looks at you even though it's a confused look!)
A couple of nights later he got up again and came in my bedroom said hello, I said are you alright? He said 'yes just checking you were here?' He went to the toilet and came back still looking confused I asked if he'd had a bad dream and he says yes, cuddles up for a bit and back to bed.
Last night he got up again and went to his sisters room and put the light on again not knowing why he's there then goes to the toilet comes back to me and said he'd had a bad dream'
The next day he remembers going to the toilet and afterwards but not the bit before, is he sleepwalking or just waking confused? We've had no changes at home to trigger anything?

FATEdestiny Thu 07-May-15 12:33:10

My 9 year old son does this. Or did this actually, he hasn't for ages.

Always toilet related. My DS is a very heavy sleeper. Not sure if it is relevant or the two are related but we had bed wetting issues with him, due to his very heavy sleeping. The sleepwalking ran alongside him bedwetting less and getting up to go to the toilet in the night more.

I think in a 'not properly awake' state he would get up, but not really know why he's got up. My son will go towards light or sound. So he would often come walking downstairs, sometimes not seeing us as all and straight to the kitchen (light was on) and just stand there. Like he didn't know where he was or why he was there.

We learnt to not even mention the oddness of the behaviour. We would just turn him around with a quiet "come on, lets go to the toilet and back to bed", hand on his back to guide him up the stairs and into the toilet. Wait for him to finish and just a simple "nan night son, back to bed now".

He would not speak throughout and in the morning would remember nothing at all, not even going to the toilet. Your son probably remembers because you talk to him and ask that he replies, so that starts to wake him up. We work on the basis of not trying to wake DS up, just guide him back to bed.

Elphaba75 Thu 07-May-15 12:56:42

Thanks, I did wonder if wanting the toilet was the reason, he wet the bed and I mean WET the bed daily up until a year ago and we used a bed wetting alarm which did the trick! I ll try upping his fluid through the day and lessen it at night so hopefully he won't want to get up and start guiding him to the toilet and straight back to bed again :-)
Hopefully he'll settle :-)

silverstar1 Thu 04-Jun-15 10:37:04

My 10 year old son has never had any bed wetting issues in the past or present. However he has been getting up a lot in the night and sleep walking, comng downstairs, coming into my room.
He will talk but nothing of any relevance and remembers nothing in the morning when I mention it to him.
I have just guide him back to bed, I am hoping that is the correct thing to do

GotABitTricky Tue 14-Jul-15 22:53:31

Their wee minds seem to be in overdrive .

If you at stopping any "screen time" an hour before lights out, little more I can suggest.
10 or 11 years old too early for hormal time , or boy into man?

Pugmumsy Fri 11-Aug-17 07:11:59

My 10 year old he always had night terrors very young, but now he's doing heavy sleepwalking talking - now I'm worried he might hurt himself, or be one of these cases when they leave the house!!??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now