Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else too lazy for a routine?

(10 Posts)
Cuppatea14 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:48:14

I tried (a bit anyway) to get my DD1 into some sort of vague napping/nighttime routine. Now have a very lively toddler (she's nearly three) and a 10 week old baby. I'm listening to my other newborn-mum friends talk about all their great strides in routines etc, and I just can't be bothered. Dd2 naps where she falls, be it the car/pram/at home. Means we have the luxury of flexibility. Nighttime is a mess though, she is cranky from 6-9pm, when she usually gives up and sleeps on top of DH on the couch til 11.30, when he feeds and brings her to bed (I go early because I do any night feeds/early rising). I'm missing our evenings now though and would like to get it sorted.
Very long-winded path to my actual question... Have I any hope of sorting out the nighttime without also instilling some sort of daytime nap routine?

RainbowInACloud Thu 12-Feb-15 08:22:10

A

RainbowInACloud Thu 12-Feb-15 08:24:40

Sorry about that! No we have no routine either as I have 2 older children (who also didn't have a routine) so I can't commit to nap times etc.
I find they eventually settle into a routine themselves- around 7 months for us- where they nap at predictable times. Just go with the flow until then.
However I've had 3 not very good sleepers so feel free to completely ignore my advice. smile

treaclesoda Thu 12-Feb-15 08:27:35

I never followed a routine with either of my children. And it worked just fine. It wasn't laziness it was just that I followed their lead - if they were tired they would show signs of needing to sleep, if not, fine. Both of them were fine like that, and still went to sleep easily enough in the evenings.

Nishky Thu 12-Feb-15 08:29:33

No routines ever -didn't actually realise it was a thing until my friend had a baby 4 years after my first and we could only meet in a certain time frame because of the baby's nap routine.

Both mine slept through early and have been great sleepers

Heatherbell1978 Thu 12-Feb-15 11:13:29

Not sure if I have a routine. I know when my 6 month old is tired and I know when he is hungry and some days this falls at similar times, some days it doesn't. I do try and follow the same bedtime routine every day but he doesn't sleep through still. Some days I like the flexibility as my Gina Ford loving friend seems like a slave to her routine and I just do whatever, whenever. But some days I think his night time sleeping might improve if I had more structure. I'm not sure where I'd start though so I'd maybe get one of those sleep consultants in. A friend used one and it seemed to work wonders for her.

mrsmugoo Thu 12-Feb-15 12:08:07

We have a routine but it's not one I've made up or got out of a book it's just what my DS "does". I don't follow it, it just happens. He gets hungry and tired at the same times every day and that dictates nap/meal/bedtimes.

I find it mildly irksome that if you have a routine that people assume you must follow some sort of spreadsheet to the letter everyday.

flipflopsonfifthavenue Thu 12-Feb-15 18:37:59

DS1 now 2.5yo never did and DS2 14wks has even less so.
However as someone else said bit by bit they start napping at similar times each day so you may not 'plan' your day to the hour around it but they do develop their own patterns. I thinks baby who is happy to sleep anywhere is great!
However Having a bath/bed routine at similar time each day is something we've done with both from early on and still means you can do what you want during the day. And it means you eventually get your evenings back which was key for us.

DS2 only naps in his sling and I'd love him to sleep in his cot at home or buggy to give my poor shoulders a rest when we're out. However I think that in order to 'train' him to do this, esp the sleeping in cot, I'd have to start by putting him down for naps at the same time every day so he knows what to expect etc. the whole idea fills me with dread so sling it is for a bit longer...!

BMO Thu 12-Feb-15 18:40:35

Probably depends on you and the baby. Mine needed to sleep well in the day to sleep well at night. Plus I am pretty lazy and really need them to be tucked up in bed in the evenings and loved having a guaranteed 2-3 hours off in the day grin

BeCool Thu 12-Feb-15 18:59:29

I did a bedtime routine of sorts from fairly young with a view to having free evenings. But daytime naps were fairly fluid and could happen anywhere. Worked out well. I like being out and about so buggy napping was essential.

Having had one who woke every 4 hours max for 3years, and another who slept through almost from birth I'd say it is more down to the child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: