Talk

Advanced search

12 days old and won't settle in crib

(9 Posts)
Firstimemummy15 Wed 04-Feb-15 20:45:43

So my 12 day old who had a pretty rough start- blood test, scans, lumbar punctures, etc will not sleep in her crib! She did when we first came home but now she won't, however as soon as I pick her up she will settle and sleep on me. Any advice on how to get her in her crib?!

FATEdestiny Wed 04-Feb-15 21:03:29

Hi there. Sorry you and your baby had a rough start. I have not been a fan on cribs or moses baskets for any of my four children, they are too small and restricting IMO.

With a newborn then a bouncy chair (minus any play arch) is the most effective way for daytime naps without being held/carried. Baby in chair on floor near sofa, you on sofa watching daytime TV and having a break bouncing chair with foot.

Night time sleep, I've always gone straight into a co-sleeper full sized cot. Take one side off a cot bed and butt it up to your bed with mattress same height. No barrier to lift over between you and baby that way.

Christelle2207 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:03:35

Mine wouldn't either. Mine would only settle on my boob. I learnt quickly how to co-sleep safely with him.
That saved my sanity tbh. I was persistent with putting him in the basket tho and he slowly did start settling there for the first part of the evening.

Firstimemummy15 Thu 05-Feb-15 16:33:06

Thank you ladies, the bouncy chair is a life saver during the day - as much as I love just sitting and having cuddles! Lol I don't think I have enough space for co sleeper but will def check as she will co sleep with us in our bed but I'm a first time mum snd really nervy about it!!

Christelle2207 Thu 05-Feb-15 18:47:56

I know what you mean- before i had my son I was adamant the bed would be a grown up only zoneconfused. If you read up on it and don't do it on the sofa or when you've had alcohol I'm convinced it's the way forward with fussy babies.

Christelle2207 Thu 05-Feb-15 18:49:56

Am really annoyed actually that the official advice is to not co-sleep rather than advise people how to do it safely. It's what most of the rest of the world does. And in time they do get better at settling in their baskets/cots.

Firstimemummy15 Fri 06-Feb-15 12:17:48

It's so confusing isn't it - we had a health visitor do a routine visit yesterday and I told my partner not to mention that in occasion we had had her in our bed - however the health visitor mentioned that it's something we could consider if we felt comfortable - it's a mind fir,d isn't it! We had a couple of hours in her bouncer last night, couple of hours with daddy as he couldn't sleep, about an hour in crib - I always try crib first think it's just persevering :-) xx

mummy2pickle Fri 06-Feb-15 22:55:00

I had the same problem from 4 days old. Would only settle in arms or on chest. We started with Moses then tried crib but wouldn't settle in either.In uthe end and to get at least an hour's sleep I gave in and she slept on my chest until 8 weeks old. You can certainly see why sleep deprivation is a form of torture when you have a baby that doesn't settle. Then at 8 week's I went against all advice bought a breathing monitor and put her in cot on belly and have not looked back since. (This was last report mind). Oh at 3 week's she got diagnosed with cows milk protein intolerance then severe reflux so she was very uncomfortable anyway. I just think as their mum you know what's right and you got to do what works for you both.

Qferrymum1 Sat 07-Feb-15 16:31:31

My DD (now 10 weeks) was exactly the same, at the start she wouldn't settle anywhere than on our chests or in our arms. As I didn't like the idea of co-sleeping this was a nightmare. However we quickly realised that although co-sleeping won't get you the best nights sleep, it is perfectly safe if you are careful and is in fact really quite nice. So we just went with it at first, and by 3-4 weeks she was more settled and sleeping in Moses basket quite happily. I have heard so many people say the same thing that I think it is rubbish the health service don't endorse it more; athe current approach just leaves new parents confused, stressed and worried. And as for during the day, a sling was a life saver for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: