Talk

Advanced search

Honestly - when did your LO sleep 'through the night'?

(42 Posts)
wigwam33 Tue 03-Feb-15 10:13:04

OK I know this is can be a tiresome topic (quite literally!) but I'm genuinely interested, given the anonymity of MN. When did your LO sleep through? By that I mean do a long stretch from the hours of midnight until about 6.30-7.00am on a regular basis (not just a one off fluke). And did you do a routine or attachment /responsive based or a mix? Please share!

I'm on DC number 2 and she is 3 1/2 months and currently wakes around 3 times between midnight and 7am. This is substantially worse since she turned 12 weeks, for some reason.

DC number 1 woke up at night until the age of 2 years 1 month. With him we co-slept and although he napped in the day regularly we didn't instigate any kind of fixed routine in the daytime, just one for bedtime (7.30am).

Superene Tue 03-Feb-15 10:19:41

I have 2 boys and they both slept from last feed at 10.30/11 until 7ish from about 12 or 13 weeks. One was bottle fed and the other bf but both had a bottle (expressed or formula) at 10.30pm. But I was obsessive about routine and every feed and nap was at the same time every day. By the time they were weaned they slept 7 til 7. I was very lucky, but I did train them!

Andcake Tue 03-Feb-15 10:21:42

Ds started sleeping through the night semi regularly at 19 months ish. Well he had slept a few nights from 10.30-morning from 7 months but that was when i was so tired we started cosleeping in earnest as I couldn't cope anymore especially going back to work. when he coslept he didn't wake for food.But for me cosleeping is a bit different from sleeping through the night on ones own.
The change at 19 months was own room with a big single bed, HE NEVER SLEPT THROUGH IN A COT EVER - it is very dark, with bed guards, stairgate on door etc getting him to go to sleep without touching or holding me.
he sometimes wakes now at 2.5 and i just get into his single bed (this happens about twice a week on average i guess). It stopped him wanting to come into our bed as he knows his own bed and I usually wait in the vv dark room until he is asleep or so relaxed he has stopped chatting, throwing toys, getting up...

bettyboop1970 Tue 03-Feb-15 10:28:32

DC 1 never went a full night until 3 years!
DC 2,3and 4 all from 6 weeks, bliss!

NeedaDiscoNap Tue 03-Feb-15 10:31:35

My DD is 8 months and she has slept from 6.45-6ish about five times since she was born. Last night she was up every 40mins from 1am. I am bloody knackered!

Wincher Tue 03-Feb-15 10:37:04

DS1 - 22 months
DS2 - 8 months.

Didn't do anything different, both were atrocious sleepers from 4-7 months or so, but a switch suddenly seemed to flip for DS2 at 8 months!

zippyandbungle Tue 03-Feb-15 10:38:24

Dd1 slept very little until she was about 3, actually when she started nursery. I get a cold sweat just thinking about it even though it was 15 years ago and still have a less than healthy fear of sleep deprivation. Dd2 slept from 6.30-5.30 at about 6 months.

Thehedgehogsong Tue 03-Feb-15 10:40:01

I was co-sleeping and responsive with DD1 and am now with dd2. DD1 was about 3 years old before she slept through all the time, but before that would only wake briefly for a cuddle and a breastfeed perhaps. Need had to get out of bed or do much more than open one eye and throw an arm over her or get a boob out.
DD2 is already sleeping 6 hours straight or more at 8 weeks old. I suppose it depends on the child more than anything!

DuelingFanjo Tue 03-Feb-15 10:45:26

Once, aged six months, at Glastonbury.
He is four now and doesn't sleep through the night.

FunMitFlags Tue 03-Feb-15 10:51:58

Ds1 from 16 weeks, then pretty much ever after unless unwell

Ds2 from 12 weeks until around 9 months, then he developed some sort of fault and didn't sleep through the night until 4 years old. Even now at 7yo he wakes early regardless of any activities, exercise, late nights. I've just accepted that this is how he is.

mabelbabel Tue 03-Feb-15 10:58:26

DD1 about 6 months old.
DD2 about 4.5 years.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 03-Feb-15 11:49:03

Twins are now 4yrs 3mo and occassionly sleep through. Most nights (9 out of 10?) they each wake once and come in with us from then.

DS2 is 8 weeks old and slept 8 hours on his first night smile Hasn't done it since though.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 03-Feb-15 11:50:06

Oh, and no, never done any sort of training, have always fed/cuddled/coslept as desired by children.

Booboostoo Tue 03-Feb-15 11:50:51

DD 3 years old
DS 20 months old

ChazzerChaser Tue 03-Feb-15 11:53:02

I don't sleep through the night yet. I'm in my 30s

Stillwishihadabs Tue 03-Feb-15 11:53:55

Ds 2.5 m (10:30-6)
Dd 3m (11-7)

WipsGlitter Tue 03-Feb-15 11:55:18

DS1 from about three months - my sister told me to drop the middle of the night feed as he wasn't actually waking for it!

DS2 from about four days old! He had downs syndrome and apparently this is quite common. It was FAB!

They are both very good sleepers now. We did a bedtime routine from they were quite young, they also for the first few weeks were asleep in the moses basket in the sitting room with us, with the TV on, so they are used to sleeping through noise! Honestly sleeping is the one area I feel smug about!

LollyLondon Tue 03-Feb-15 11:56:47

DC1 - slept through once at exactly 6 weeks old, and regularly from 8 weeks.

DC2 - around 5 months I reckon, but woke up occasionally until around 9 months.

bonkersLFDT20 Tue 03-Feb-15 11:56:47

DS2 - it was Dec 2013 and he was coming up for 5. However, I did nothing to stop him creeping in bed next to me so it was what it was.

I'd say he was well over 2 before I could go to bed knowing I'd get a decent stretch of sleep.

Can't even remember DS1 - must have blotted it from my mind.

However, don't mind one bit. They slept through when they were ready and we've never had bed time dramas, monsters, up and down stairs "thirsty" etc etc and I like to think it's because they always felt totally secure (I've got to give myself some comfort eh?!)

Strictlyison Tue 03-Feb-15 11:57:10

DS1 - 18 months, however between 3 yo and 3.5 he had lots of bad dreams so we ended up making a bed for him on the floor in our bedroom that he could crawl into if he'd wake up at night and was scared.

DS2 - from 6 months old, unless ill or jet lagged.

Longtalljosie Tue 03-Feb-15 11:59:02

DD1 -12 weeks with an expressed bottle at midnight, then without from 7 months.

DD2 - 16 months after trying and failing on several occasions, then giving up and waiting it out

DextersMistress Tue 03-Feb-15 11:59:16

Dc are 2 and 4. Both have had periods of sleeping through but every few weeks need training again.

AdoraBell Tue 03-Feb-15 11:59:21

Twins here, DD2 first slept through at 12 weeks and then consistently from about 16 weeks. DD1 was a couple of months behind.

I have no idea how this happened. I didn't try to train them to sleep through at such a young age, even asked their Dr about it because I was worried they wouldn't feed enough. He told me to enjoy it.

To even things up though they are now 13 and one of them still wets the bed occasionally. What can I say? Karma found me.

zzzzz Tue 03-Feb-15 11:59:56

Dd1 about two weeks before dd2 was born so 27 months.
Dd2 day 2!!!!!!!!

There is no sense to it. I went from deranged sleepless pregnant one, two serene mother of two, without doing ANYTHING.

WilsonWilsonWoman Tue 03-Feb-15 12:01:20

DC1 slept through regularly from 8 weeks. Pregnant with 2nd currently and quaking in my boots that this one won't sleep. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: