Advanced search

How to combat early waking 7mo

(6 Posts)
rr16 Mon 02-Feb-15 13:39:19

is it possible to deal with an early waking baby by changing my ds's routine every few days by 10 minutes or so to get him sleeping later in the morning?

ds is 7mo and has started waking around 4am. he was doing 7.15pm until 6.30am plus daytime naps then he regressed and I can't seem to get him back on track. cc was my method to deal with him originally but after weeks of crying in the early hours I can't cope any longer...

please help me if you can!

FATEdestiny Mon 02-Feb-15 13:55:11

What time is he currently going to bed?

Assuming it is not ridiculously early evening (like 5pm or something) then it might not be helpful just making his bedtimes later - because it could just end up with him getting less and less sleep.

I'd be expecting my 7 month old to be having 12 hours sleep a night. 10 hours at a minimum. So if your DS is getting less than this them rather than deal with the 4am wake up by later bedtimes, I would recommend trying instead tactics to re-settle to sleep in the morning.

Have you tried feeding and or a dummy as soon as he wakes at 4am?

Are you breast or bottle? How is his sleeping and feeding through the daytime?

rr16 Mon 02-Feb-15 15:25:37

ds goes down at 7.15pm has a nap at 9am - 1 hr max then at 12.45pm - 2 hrs max eats very well 3 times a day and bf 4 or 5 times a day. have been nursing back to sleep when he wakes at 4/5am to stop him waking ds1.

FATEdestiny Mon 02-Feb-15 16:28:40

That ^ all sounds normal and perfectly reasonable.

So he is going back to sleep after the early morning feed? I thought you meant he was up for the day at that time.

What about trying to settle without feeding (dummy perhaps) for that night feed?

rr16 Mon 02-Feb-15 19:21:00

he doesn't have a dummy so only way to settle really is nursing. he does sometimes go back to sleep after his first feed at 4/5am (it used to be 6.30am) but more often than not he's up and ready to start his day...

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 02-Feb-15 19:26:15

4am is generally the coldest part of the night - is he warm enough?

Could you maybe add a supper (porridge or similar) at bedtime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now