Talk

Advanced search

6 month old sleeping at it's worst!

(15 Posts)
Harryhart Thu 29-Jan-15 22:52:04

My daughter is 6 months on Thursday. Her sleep has got progressively worse since she was about 12 weeks old. We're at the point now where I feel like I'm living with a newborn again as we used to be guaranteed a baby free evening but she is now waking up 3-4 times between her bedtime at 7 and when we come to bed at 11. The evening wake ups started at 5 months and I wondered if she was having the 4 month sleep regression late as she didn't do it at 4 months. Is that possible, how long does it last?

She isn't a brilliant napper, but never has been. 90min-2hrs a day, over 3 naps. She's always had a bedtime routine and often self settles. She's exclusively breastfed and had always refused a bottle.

With 3-4 evening wakes and 2-3 night wakes, often co-sleeping as its even more if she's in her cot, I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel! Is this a phase or does she need some sleep training? I'm open to something gentle!

I'm really ready for a break in a 24hr period!

Thanks

LucyB1 Thu 29-Jan-15 23:04:41

Same. confused

mupperoon Thu 29-Jan-15 23:16:40

Snap, except she doesn't self settle and I have to feed her to sleep or dance about with her to two particular songs... Wondering how to approach this as I hate the idea of her crying but none of the gentle stuff we've tried has worked at all.

Ijodnano Fri 30-Jan-15 02:41:13

Same here! I have just tried sleep training (lifting him then putting him back down straight away). It took nearly two hours, and I expect he will probably wake up again in a couple of hours anyway!

Harryhart Fri 30-Jan-15 17:31:20

Glad I'm not the only one blush

AhoyMcCoy Fri 30-Jan-15 21:46:45

Another one in the same boat - but DD is 7 months, so it's not over yet for me!

OneDayMySleepWillCome Sat 31-Jan-15 10:26:42

Same here at 7 months....it's so hard. Mine also refuses a bottle so dh can't even help. Baby won't settle with anyone except me. My first slept 7-7 from 4 weeks old. We're paying for it now. I just keep repeating 'this too shall pass'.....fingers crossed!!

MissYamabuki Sat 31-Jan-15 10:35:50

Same here... 6 and 1/2 m old waking up anything between 3 and 5 times a night sad BFeeds to sleep, barely naps in the day. We seemed to be on the right path at 5 months and now... no idea what can be done!

rampallion Sat 31-Jan-15 12:14:35

Me too - 5 months dd goes to sleep at around 8 pm, wakes a couple of times in the early evening and then like clockwork at 2 am, 4 am and 6 am... It's hideous! She's also a bottle-refuser and terrible napper. I somehow feel napping is the key to a better night's sleep...today I was determined to ensure she slept for longer in the daytime...it's taken me 3 hrs to get her to nod off (and it had to be in my arms) but she's been out for nearly 2 hrs now. Let's see if it makes any difference tonight!

kmini Sat 31-Jan-15 16:18:09

Just posted almost the exact same situation! So frustrating. The early evening problem is the most frustrating.

LucyB1 Sat 31-Jan-15 19:19:20

Would be interested to here that rampilion

rampallion Sun 01-Feb-15 17:05:26

I'm afraid my plan didn't have the desired effect....awake every hour until 11 pm, then at 2 am, 3.30, 4 and 6 again. sad Today am trying not to let her nap in the afternoon, not sure where else to go from here...

EssexGirlLottie Sun 01-Feb-15 19:38:56

Hi, OP, you don't say whether you have started weaning or not. I literally just started weaning my DS today but I hear from friends that once a couple of meals have been established, sleeping is much improved! I can't comment on that yet but I'm holding off on any sleep training for my DS until another month or so to see how solids affects him

GingerCuddleMonster Sun 01-Feb-15 19:47:14

I'm in the same boat have been since birth,he's never slept through, I just always assumed it was the done thing, I just assumed babies woke up often blush DS wakes every 3hours from 8pm onwards, we've started weaning it's made no difference, he also has days he naps and days he dos t it also makes no difference. I've just accepted it now as that's life for the next year sad.

TheEalingFeeling Sun 01-Feb-15 19:50:12

We have just emerged from a killer year of youngest NOT SLEEPING. She never really did sleep well since birth but it was expected at first obviously. It got really bad at about 12 weeks and then got worse and worse... I could have coped with gentle gurgling, need a cuddle or a feed type waking but it wasn't that... It was full on crying, takes 2 hours to settle and we all fall asleep on the lounge floor waking...

We took her to an osteopath and honestly PLEASE DO THE SAME!! It was like a light went on (or off!); literally since the first appointment she has done these killer 13-hour nights & 3-hour naps...

Her problem was that, due to her excessively fast labour and birth, her skull had not had time to mould itself correctly to my pelvis and this had caused her pain which was getting worse as her skull plates we're growing and shifting. She had apparently massive tension (like having one side I your face clamped progressively tighter in a motorbike helmet) through one side of her head, into the eye socket and the jaw. Teething made all these problems worse - hence the crying and general lack of sleep (uncomfortable to lie down).

Apparently there can be all sorts of post-birth issues like this though so even if yours wasn't a fast or transfix labour, it doesn't mean there might not be some tension etc.

I can honestly say it was a marriage-saver and the best thing We have ever done!!

Highly recommend going to consult an osteopath ASAP smile)

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: