Talk

Advanced search

HELP!!

(5 Posts)
Beckysk Thu 29-Jan-15 18:51:26

With my first child, I couldn't breastfeed and she was 4 hourly feeds and used to sleep wonderfully. My second however, is 4 months, still wakes up for hourly/2 hourly feeds every night and nurses the same during the day. My bf advocate said to co-sleep which I have been doing otherwise I would be a zombie and not be able to properly look after my 4 year old too. It's helped tho my baby will sleep a matter of half an hour if that in her cot, and will only nap on or next to me. I don't want her in my bed for ever. I've desperately tried to put her on formula but she only takes an ounce each time which I don't understand. She also has gone into the habit of nursing to go to sleep which my doctor encouraged, but I don't want her to associate it with getting back to sleep otherwise I feel I'll never see the end of it ��

Harryhart Thu 29-Jan-15 23:00:49

Sounds fairly typical of a 4 month old! Mine was probably on slightly longer stretches at 4 months but has actually regressed a bit now at 6 months! We also co-sleep as its easier but would like to not forever. We're going to try a bit of gentle sleep training, all of which emphasises the importance of bedtime routine and day time naps. The first we do but the second is hit and miss!

Beckysk Sat 31-Jan-15 00:51:30

Yeah hoping to try and at least not associate nursing with sleeping but feel bad as she doesn't have a dummy or anything so it's her only comfort. Do yours still nurse throughout the night too?

bettyboop1970 Sat 31-Jan-15 01:21:48

When my DD was bf (she is 22 years old) I was advised definitely no co sleeping. This was due to advice about cot death at the time. I fed her and put her into cot. She went through the night 11-7 from 6 weeks. After reading current threads on this it seems to be advice now is to co sleep and demand feed. There seems to be many mums in your predicament, then talk of sleep training. I think, from what I have read, that this is making it very difficult for mums to break this pattern. The only advice I can give is to keep trying to disassociate feeding and sleeping.
When I had DD twins, now 6 years, I had to ff as they were prem and my milk supply was not efficient for them. I fed them and put them directly to sleep in their cribs and they self soothed (sucked thumbs) no crying, sleeping through from early actual age 6 weeks. I can't help but surmise all this demand feeding and co sleeping makes it harder for mums. BTW as my twins were early I was advised not to co sleep, as it raises chance of SIDS? Very confusing?

Beckysk Sat 31-Jan-15 01:33:39

I absolutely agree! My first was sleeping through at 8 weeks. I really don't like sleeping in a bed with her but it's the only way to get sleep as she nurses so often. In the day she's also every hour /2 hours. I just feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Keep trying to put her in her cot at the sleepy but not overtired stage but she screams whatever, and routes for me constantly when she's tired

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: