Talk

Advanced search

Nightmares in adults

(7 Posts)
blondebuddha Thu 29-Jan-15 09:41:33

Sorry in advance for not using mumsnet acronyms! I haven't got a clue what half of them mean!

I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advice. I had nightmares and night terrors frequently as a child and in adulthood I've always had very vivid dreams and the occasional nightmare but since I've had my daughter (she's 5 months old) they've gotten out of control. I'm having them almost every night and I'm not sure how much more I can take.
It's got to the point where I don't want to go to bed because I know what's going to happen.
There's no set theme to them, alot are about my daughter but not all of them, I don't really want to go into detail about them as I think I might upset some people if I do, but for the first time last night I dreamt that it was me causing physical harm to my daughter and I don't understand where that thought would even come from.
I'm not stressed, I eat very well and exercise regularly. No caffene after 10am, no fizzy pop etc, rarely eat cheese and never eat before bed as it just makes me feel sick. There's been no recent upheaval in my life, apart from, of course, becoming a mum, but my daughter sleeps through the night with no problems, she's well behaved etc.
Has anyone else ever had a problem with this? They're getting worse by the week and I'm not sure what else to do.
Really really really don't want to see my GP about it unless I have to - they're awful people and have never done me any favours in the past regarding more serious problems so I can't see them helping out with this.
Thanks in advance

dicko1 Sat 07-Feb-15 17:04:22

Hi i dont know how much help i can be but i im a first time mum to a four month and have experienced the exact same thing.
I spoke to my health visitor who was really helpful! Have you tried this?
unfortunately she did refer me to my GP who prescribed a very mild sleeping pill i was sceptical at first but desperate because my baby slept through so why couldnt i.
Anyway my partner was always in the house should she wake for a week while i took my pill then the second week i just took half. I took no more as didnt want to become addicted and it really seemed to help with me. Especially in the morning going in to her little face beaming knowing i she was safe. after that two weeks i still get them when im tired.
so honestly id reccomend soeak to your healthvisitor if you dont like your GP. But dont worry i think it happens to more people than you think. These little people change us 100%.
hope you get sorted.smile smile

girliefriend Sat 07-Feb-15 17:07:13

There is probably some underlying anxiety that you may not even be consciously aware of, it may be worth having a few sessions with a good counsellor or psychotherapist just to try and understand where the dreams are coming from.

Scotmum83 Sat 07-Feb-15 18:46:28

I have had bad nightmares/night terrors in the past and I related most to food but also think that the contraceptive pill was making it worse, I don't know why but when I stopped taking it to become pregnant I stopped talking in my sleep etc. in the past caffeine and also msg really effected my sleep. I'd fall asleep fine but then have terrifying night terrors and shout alot and get out of the bed. It's worth having a good look at your diet any medication you are on etc and see if you can link it to anything. I'm sure the stress of a new baby could also be a factor but worth looking at other things too.

Katekoom Wed 11-Feb-15 20:02:48

I second the suggestion to see a counsellor. These dreams are not 'thoughts' they are your subconscious picking something that is the most disturbing to you e.g hurting your child. Its by no means a relefection on any lucid thought you could have.

The fact that your anxious about them is feeding the little gremlin whos messing with your sh1t.

Speak to a counsellor, it may only take a few sessions to rid you of the anxiety.

Good luck x

nikki1978 Wed 11-Feb-15 20:17:38

Hmm I suffer from nightmares but they are due to anxiety or eating carbs late so nothing that you have issues with.

I am usually unaware of when I am stressed as I cope so well with stuff. Is there anything that could be bothering you?

blondebuddha Thu 12-Feb-15 07:16:21

Thanks for your replies!
After a visit to the GP he said that the only thing he could offer that might help would be a mild sedative but because I'm not having any trouble actually getting to sleep he won't prescribe them; (which is fine, I'd rather not have sleeping pills).
He suggested self referral to counselling which I've done and I'm having a phone assessment with them tomorrow. I'm abit wary as the only experience I've had with counselling before was in school and they were awful but I'm going in with an open mind and hopefully these guys are different.
As for the underlying stress I really cannot think of anything. I've sat down with my partner and alone trying to figure out what it could be but there is nothing that I can think of that's been playing on my mind. Even with talking about it to family and friends etc there's been no improvement with the nightmares; if anything it sometimes makes it worse talking about them because then they're on my mind again.
I'll post up what the assessment is like tomorrow for those of you who said you had anxiety problems too.
Also - I am on the contraceptive pill so I will be asking about that.
Thanks ladies!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: