Talk

Advanced search

Sudden change in toddlers sleeping behaviour - 26mths old

(4 Posts)
hereharehere33 Wed 28-Jan-15 11:08:39

I’m exhausted – what’s happened to my toddler! I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. He’s 26mths and since about 8mths, he has been a good sleeper – settled well, if he woke in the night, would quickly go back to sleep without us going in and generally allowing us to get a good nights sleep, almost guaranteed.

For the past couple of weeks he has been waking and not settling back down, sometimes to be point of being inconsolable. It started with early wakings at 5am but for the past few nights its been between 2am-4am. Last night was the worst. He woke at 1.30am and didn’t go back to sleep. I laid down next to his cot for two hours with my hand on his back but by 3.30am he was up and very much awake, ready to go. We ended up downstairs playing. He’s gone to nursery today a very grumpy boy and I’m attempting to be constructive at work.

I’m 31weeks pregnant and finding the lack of sleep too much to the point that I’m emotional, a total grump and completely stressed. My partner does help out but there’s no point in the both of us being up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Why the sudden change in behaviour? Should I leave him to ‘cry it out’ – difficult when he’s shouting ‘momma…momma..’ If I bring him into bed with us, I’m really worried it will turn into the norm and I’ll be trying to settle him whilst trying to breastfed the little one. Help!!

scottygirl5 Wed 28-Jan-15 16:30:58

Is it possible he's aware up the impending arrival and a bit anxious, perhaps subconsciously? What's his awareness of the new baby? Would it be possible for him to co sleep with your partner? Sorry for all the questions!

hereharehere33 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:52:09

I did wonder whether he might have more of an understanding about the new arrival but if he does, he doesn't show it day to day. He points my tummy when we ask where the baby is but other than that-nothing! It's certainly good practice for the sleep deprivation!
Think co-sleeping with my hubby might work but my DS does tend to look for me and my hubby's not so patient, especially at that time in the morning!

scottygirl5 Fri 30-Jan-15 14:02:58

Might be worth reading some books with him about a baby coming into the family in case it is concerning him? I'm personally not for cio as I think it will only increase his stress but you need to do what works for you. It's so hard being sleep deprivand pregnant, hope its just a phase that passes quickly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: