Talk

Advanced search

1yo hates to sleep!!!!

(8 Posts)
fattymcfatfat Tue 20-Jan-15 00:04:14

My 1yo dd has recently decided that sleep is overrated. She slept through the night from being newborn until around ten months. I put her into a bed (I have a trundle bed so its basically a mattress on the floor) and things were brilliant again until just recently. ...she goes to bed at 6 and sleeps until 11 but thrn she is up and theres nothing I can do....I put her back to bed repeatedly. ...I let her cry....I comfort her everything I can think of but nothing works! She cany stay awake any later than 6 as she refuses to nap during the day so ends up drifting off by ten past six latest if I do try to keep her up!!!! Help!!!!

chocolatedrops31 Tue 20-Jan-15 12:11:54

I would put her back in a cot and then reinstitute a lunch time nap (2 hours). You might have to do some kind of sleep training to get her to nap but at least she won't be jumping out the cot. If she's better rested in the day, she should sleep better at night.

fattymcfatfat Tue 20-Jan-15 14:31:57

Shes worse in the cot. She tries to climb out and I have actually found her hanging over the side before so I feel safer having her in the bed. I managed to get her to sleep for an hour this morning but I dont know if thats just because she is so tired with being up all the time too. Hopefully we can stick to napping in the day as she sleeps so much better when she does.

Minkybinkyboo Thu 22-Jan-15 19:40:21

My 13month old also hates sleep. She still naps in the day, but only on me or alongside me on the sofa, and wakes throughout the night. Last night she was wide awake between 1 and 4 am which was lovely! No advice, sorry, just feel your frustration and watching for advice with interest!

fattymcfatfat Sat 24-Jan-15 20:38:41

At least I know im not alone! Thank you haha!

123upthere Mon 26-Jan-15 10:51:36

Oh it's not easy. I resolved last night to do the Baby Whisperer technique of pickup lay down gently in her cot and repeat. I repeated it for 20 minutes. She wasn't happy but she was exhausted. It's very hard but I stayed strong and gently reassured her to sleep/go to sleep/sssshhh etc.

Eventually she did go to sleep and when she woke later several times, I checked if I was needed or if she was just 'grumbling' in her sleep/dreaming. She does tend to do this quite a lot so it's important for me to remember not to rush in to her as my instincts tell me to do! Given a few minutes which seem longer than they actually are, she will more often than not lay back down again herself. But it is difficult to listen to her grumbling and not intervene.

I did notice that when I went in to wrap her up again she layed herself down to sleep without my help, so she did understand at least that she needed to lie down and sleep. I guess she's learning a new skill!

Would love to hear others advice it's so hard. At this age I think they do understand the word 'sleep' so perhaps that can be a key word. Oh and I also praised her a lot (quietly) said 'Goooood girl ssssshhh sleeeeep') when she did lie down

123upthere Mon 26-Jan-15 10:52:54

Baby Whisperer

SnoozeForKids Thu 29-Jan-15 03:48:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: