Talk

Advanced search

Bed guard for co sleeping

(10 Posts)
Honeybear30 Mon 19-Jan-15 17:07:28

DS is happily in his own room after moving from the nct bed nest at four months. He is out growing the bed nest at quite a rate! Sometimes in the morning when I'm knackered we co sleep or when he is poorly we co sleep. While the nest is there it's fine because he can't roll out of bed, it's side carred to the bed. But soon the rental period is up and it'll be going back. What can I do to safely co sleep without the nest? I've been looking at bed guards but im worried about the gap, is this a necessary worry? DS is big, I find it unlikely he'll get stuck in a small gap between mattress and bed rail but nevertheless it's a concern. Any ideas?

Honeybear30 Mon 19-Jan-15 20:25:39

Anyone?

Hobbes8 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:12:49

I got one from amazon. I think it's by Lindham. It's been fine for my baby from about 6 months. I presume you're already familiar with safe co-sleeping guidance about pillows and everything?

Honeybear30 Mon 19-Jan-15 21:19:59

Yes I follow all other guidelines smile co sleeping has saved my sanity on more than one occasion but after fine reading all the advice. Ok I'm glad someone else has put a guard on their bed, I was starting to think I was the only one!

Hobbes8 Mon 19-Jan-15 22:01:13

Yep the guard is really easy to use - it's got two arms that go under the mattress and that's it. It's pretty flush against the mattress - I can't imagine an older baby getting trapped. I used it with my son as well, and I think it eased his transition to a bed from his cot, as we used the same guard on the bed.

sockmatcher Mon 19-Jan-15 22:02:51

Try googling foam bed guard. Popular amongst co sleepers. Purple daisies I think?

CatsCantFlyFast Mon 19-Jan-15 22:05:02

I use one from argos...similar to the lindam - arms under the mattress. It also came with straps that go under and hook on the far side of a single bed mattress which I went to the trouble of extending so they are long enough for our double, but there really was no need.
No gap that I would be concerned about

DougalTheCheshireCat Mon 19-Jan-15 22:23:37

We have a full size cot where one side drops down so you can attach it to the bed. You need to lay a sheet horizontal across it and your bed under your sheet to make sure there's no gap between the two.

Mamas and Papas used to do one, ours is Cosi Tutti (or something) as not many places do them new now (I assume after the cot death / don't cosleep recommendations). We got ours from Gumtree.

Dd is 19 months and happily in the same cot in her own room now (made the transition easy). I also use a yoga bolster. dD was an early roller and mover, so I used it to keep her in her cot part for naps and before we came to bed. We still cosleep sometimes and I use it along the edge of the bed where she is sleeping so that she'd knock it off first if she rolled (which would wake me up)

Honeybear30 Tue 20-Jan-15 21:22:01

I like the idea of the foam guard but every inch of space is precious so I don't think that's an option. must buy king size bed I'll have a okay Argos, thank you for sharing ideas, I'm pleased other people have done this and the gap hasn't been an issue.

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 22-Jan-15 19:47:42

If there's a bit of a gap just squish a blanket down there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: