Advanced search

When did your DC start to go to bed earlier?

(19 Posts)
barmybunting Sun 18-Jan-15 20:53:25

I'm just curious when your SC started to be ready for bed earlier as babies? I know there is no rhyme or reason to these things but I am hoping we might get there soon smile.

DD is 9 weeks and still cluster feeds every evening (ebf) until bedtime which seems to be any time between 9 and 12 most days. Any attempt to bring this forward has failed so far but I know it is early days still.

farendofafart Sun 18-Jan-15 20:57:40

Mine didn't stop cluster feeding in the evenings until about 5 months or more. But I would still wake them for a dream feed at around 11pm, which sometimes gave us a few hours uninterrupted sleep.

barmybunting Mon 19-Jan-15 16:58:58

I did wonder if cluster feeding would go on for a while yet. Hopeful!

Honeybear30 Mon 19-Jan-15 19:13:12

I'd say around 3-4 months by da settled with his bed time at 7. This wasn't my doing but his own! V grouchy at half six so up for bath and asleep by seven. I'm just feeding him now before he goes in his cot. It's like clockwork every night, give or take ten-twenty mins. He's only 4.5 months now though so plenty of time for him to throw me off course and change his mind!

Honeybear30 Mon 19-Jan-15 19:13:25

My DS*

Missingcaffeine Thu 22-Jan-15 08:46:39

Around 9 weeks we tried starting a bedtime routine at 7pm - nappy off time, bath, feed with relaxing music and dimmed light, story. We also woke baby at 7am and took downstairs for one week (which was hard!). At the end of a week his bedtime had shifted from 11pm ish to about 8pm. Now he is 4 months and since then we can pretty much guarantee he will be asleep by 8pm. Can't guarantee much else mind you! We made sure we didn't take him back downstairs after bedtime routine and just sat in darkened room with him until he slept. The first few nights he was still awake for hours, but much calmer and not screaming like previous nights.

splendide Thu 22-Jan-15 09:12:07

We've just started putting DS to bed at 8, he's 12 weeks. He just suddenly started nodding off at about the same time every night so we went with it. It's meaning I get less sleep though as he was sleeping 5 hours pretty reliably from 10/11 now he sleeps 5 hours from 8.

Artandco Thu 22-Jan-15 09:17:16

Mine have always gone at 9pm. As small babies it was 9pm in living room, then we woke, fed and took to actual bed with us around 11/12pm. Now they just go to bed at 9pm.
They have always woken 8/9am

splendide Thu 22-Jan-15 09:20:48

I'm really torn about whether to wake DS when I take him to bed. When did you stop waking for the feed Art?

Artandco Thu 22-Jan-15 09:28:42

Erm about 7months I think . So we would settle in living room at 9pm, wake and feed around 11pm. It meant from about 8 weeks they then slept from 11/12pm feed through until 8/9am.
Around 7months they started crawling so wouldn't just lay in sheepskin rug in living room and fall asleep as easy as before, hence moving into bedroom

IdaClair Thu 22-Jan-15 09:32:09

It was about 7-9 months with mine when I started putting them to bed in a different room in the evenings, earlier than I went up.

Remember it is recommended you are in the room with your baby when they are asleep for all sleeps in the first six months, if you can, to protect against SIDS.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 22-Jan-15 09:34:25

About 12 weeks here, and since the (bar illness etc) she has gone to bed at 7. However she had been a monster cluster feeder before and I found that when she stopped cluster feeding her night time sleep worsened, and is only jail recovering now at 14 months!

mrsmugoo Thu 22-Jan-15 17:51:55

At 8 weeks we started a bedtime routine to encourage an earlier bedtime but in reality he didn't stop cluster feeding until about 12 weeks and then bedtime just naturally settled at about 7:30pm.

Purpleflamingos Thu 22-Jan-15 17:59:55

After Christmas holidays, reception year. Before that it was 10pm -2:30am, then cuddle him back to sleep until he woke again at 5am.
He's in yr1. He sleeps 8:30pm-6:30am.

barmybunting Fri 23-Jan-15 10:27:32

Purple, that must have been very hard going!!

Thanks everyone, we will keep going with the bedtime routine and see how we go over the next few weeks until the cluster feeding lessens a bit. We actually managed an 8.30pm bedtime last night for the first time, but I soon realised that means our nice routine of 3 and 7am feeds, 9amish wake up was now 1,5 and 6 feeds which I didn't like so much! DH is away for a few weeks so at least I can just time everything around DD and go to bed at 8.30 when she does as we try to get into a new routine.

Rtfairy Sat 24-Jan-15 19:32:39

At around 8 weeks dd would go to sleep in living room at 7.30 then I'd wake her at 10.30 for a feed then take her up to bed with me and she would wake for another feed between 3 and 4 until she was 12 weeks and started sleeping until morning. Those days were bliss actually I remember them fondly. When she hit 6 months it all changed and she stopped sleeping in such a lovely pattern.

superbfairywren Sun 25-Jan-15 07:30:15

Dd is 8 weeks and sleeps in living room from her feed around 7 to about 11 when we all go up to bed. I put her down in her crib upstairs if she is still asleep and wait until she naturally wakes. Then change her, put her in sleeping bag, feed her and put down. Then she sleeps until around 5 normally, can stretch it to 6 if she is happy as she falls back to sleep quite easily, then up for a change and feed. She will then go back down quite happily while I have a shower, get dressed etc before getting her up if she hasn't gone back to sleep.

Kittymum03 Sun 25-Jan-15 07:47:37

Hi,mine was cluster feeding for a good few months as well,4 or 5.he used to have the Moses downstairs with us and would have a last feed when we went up between 9-10..when the feeding got less we would put him upstairs at 9,few weeks later 8.30 then 8 etc..he's now 20 months and goes at 6.30-7 (but he doesn't nap in the day and never really did)

SnoozeForKids Thu 29-Jan-15 04:21:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now