Advanced search

4 month old refusing naps

(10 Posts)
MrsL2012 Sat 17-Jan-15 10:31:09

Hi, my DS has always refused and fought naps and gets very grumpy as a result.

This morning I tried putting him in his cot for a nap as soon as I saw a tired sign. I closed the curtains, put his night time soothing toy on and left him. He had a few cries but when I peeked in he seemed to be very sleepy, rubbing his eyes, yawning etc. But then he started screaming uncontrollably, going red in the face and having a tantrum as he usually does when he is tired. I couldn't leave him like that so picked him up to soothe him and he immediately stopped. This went on about 10 times as everytime I put him down the screams started and he was getting himself into a state. Eventually I brought him downstairs so he's got his own way and not had a nap. He was in his cot about 40 mins in total without a second of sleep.

I need help, I can't bear to hear him screaming so much because he won't go to sleep. He'll sleep if I take him out in the buggy but it's not practical to take him out a few times a day!

I must say he's fantastic at night time and goes down without much trouble but I don't want him to start refusing to go down at night because of the bad association he has with his cot during the day.

Any advice? We used to use the hairdryer to help him go to sleep at night time so maybe I should try that during the day!

Nocturne123 Sat 17-Jan-15 10:48:31

No advice sorry but I'm in the same boat . Since burnt ds ( 4.5mo) has barely slept during the day .

He's have the odd 10 min cat nap but that's it. Like yours though he sleeps well at night .

I think he just doesn't need much sleep . My mum said my brother was like that and still is hmm.

bluehearted Sat 17-Jan-15 11:01:18

In my mind, 4 months is too young to expect them to self settle. I have a 2 year old and a 4.5month old and we always "help" the baby to sleep. He sleeps in his own room in his cot and sleeps through the night (most of the time).

So perhaps rock him to sleep or use the pushchair and try self settling when he's a bit bigger?

MrsL2012 Sat 17-Jan-15 16:17:58

He used to be rocked to sleep now he screams at that as well. The pushchair outside does work for about half an hour!

bluehearted Sat 17-Jan-15 16:37:34

My little one rocks to sleep and sometimes he screams too so I feel your frustration. He generally falls asleep on the bottle now! Or I push him back and forth in the pushchair in my living room!

Hope you find a solution soon thanks

Minithemoocher Sat 17-Jan-15 18:57:06

Feeling you pain. My nearly 5mo previously good sleeper is screaming for all naps and waking up 4+ times a night.
Any suggestions/solutions welcome!

bluehearted Sat 17-Jan-15 20:05:39

I know that around 4 months babies have a big growth spurt that affects their sleep, they get frustrated because they can't do anything (my ds2 is constantly trying to sit up by himself but can't) and they generally go through a rough patch. Add into the mix mine has just got over croup (complicated by a larynx problem he has) and now he has a cold!

Keep doing what you're doing, the routine helps.

MrsL2012 Sat 17-Jan-15 22:11:17

Thanks all, It's good to know I'm not the only one! We were away with friends last week and their 4.5 month old sleeps anywhere without a hint of a scream!

I hope it's a growth spurt or teething...he's got his first tooth so maybe there's more to follow quite soon.

Missingcaffeine Sun 18-Jan-15 08:48:25

At this age it quite possibly is a phase and things may get better on their own. My 4 month old has had a shocking couple of weeks regarding sleep and over the last week feeding. I think it's partly developmental as he is learning to roll how to use his hands. He is so interested in his world he doesn't want to feed in the day, let alone sleep. I also think teething may be a factor - especially regarding waking once asleep and crying intermittently.
What I found has helped with naps, was to use a dummy. He had refused a dummy every time offered up until this week, but now seems to love it and it seems to help calm him enough that he becomes sleepy and will feed or go off to sleep. You may already be using one, or may be against them, but thought it worth mentioning. Personally, I would use all the tricks in the bag to make sure they get enough sleep at this age. I think great if they go to sleep on their own, but they may need help and I think so called 'bad habits' can be dealt with further down the line.
For teething, I found putting crushed ice in a baby sock and letting him suck on it helped sooth him.
Hope things get better soon.

tulip87 Sun 18-Jan-15 20:40:22

I had this problem until a couple of weeks ago ! naptimes would end in us both crying! I started doing a day time nap routine which took about a week for little boy to catch onto but now he is settled and asleep within 5 mins. We go and sit in a chair by his cot and look at the same book which I now call our bedtime book, he had his dummy and a muslin I keep down my top at night so it smells like me, then after a few mins I put him in his cot and put the muslin slightly over his face so he can smell it. I hold his hands and he drifts off. The first few times he resisted but the muslin really calmed him down..I take the muslin out once he's asleep. lots of luck you will find something that works it's just trying lots of things until you find the one that does the trick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now