Talk

Advanced search

Waking too frequently

(10 Posts)
Beachgirl15 Sat 17-Jan-15 03:44:31

Hello all,

My first post but a frequent reader of mumsnet....and of course I'm hoping you have some secret that I'm missing out on!

I have two boys, DDS2 is three months. My eldest was a good sleeper and with my second, we quickly established a regular night time routine.

He's exclusively BF, healthy, putting on lots of weight etc however is very sicky. Opinion on whether it's reflux by HV seems to be mixed, however.

Anyway...despite him being happy and settling at night easily, he's still up ever 1.5-3 hours. With a toddler to run after on the daytime the lack of sleep is near killing me now. Thankfully he'll settle and go back to sleep easily enough after a quick feed but the frequent wakings are becoming harder to manage.

In desperate measures I've tried giving him a bottle of formula the last two nights - but that's not made a difference.

I know there is no magic answer to this but kind of hoping that this is common, someone else has experienced it and any ideas on what I can do.

I do leave him a few minutes before I pick him up to see if he'll settle however if he wakes DDS1 up then I can guarantee no more sleep for me and that's not really an option.

Please help, I'm beyond shattered!!

Thank you. X

icklekid Sat 17-Jan-15 03:51:50

He's not cold is he? I only say that as my ds has been waking at midnight and then every 20mins for last few weeks -extra blanket last night and 2 sleep throughs. He is 6 months though - at 3 months I imagine will need feeding at some point but imagine its the very short sleeps that are a killer! If he's waking for comfort feed I know others who have given water and their dc have stopped waking but not sure if he is too little for that. Last thought - if he's waking hungry then falling asleep on the boob maybe wake so he has a larger feed and see if that helps him sleep longer. Lots of brew and sympathy though x

Beachgirl15 Sat 17-Jan-15 03:57:31

That was one thing I thought and yes he sleeps nearer to three hours of he's on bed with me and all snuggled but I don't want to make that a habit! The house is pretty warm as I left it on constant and have tried extra blankets etc vu

Beachgirl15 Sat 17-Jan-15 04:00:15

Oops hit post too quickly...so yrs, did think that but not convinced that's it either. It seems more of a comfort thing now. On the larger feed, as I mentioned tried a bottle but that's not made a difference either! He might be too little for water yet? Thanks for the advice - appreciated. X

icklekid Sat 17-Jan-15 04:02:47

No worries we ended up cosleeping last few months just to get some sleep but like you I would prefer not to. Sorry not to be more help x

TittyBojangles Sat 17-Jan-15 04:30:45

This doesn't help but I'd say waking every 1.5-3hours to feed is pretty normal at 3 months. Maybe you were just lucky with your ds1.

mupperoon Sat 17-Jan-15 05:16:17

I agree with Titty, sounds like this is just the way he is!

FWIW my 5.5 month old wakes up anything from 2 to 7 times a night at the moment. There's no rhyme or reason that I can discern. She's just difficult! The lack of sleep is a killer - once or twice a week my husband looks after her during the night while l sleep in the spare room, and brings her to me for feeds. She wakes up less often with him and I get a bit more kip. Dunno whether this is an option for you?

scottygirl5 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:10:02

My 4.5 month old wakes every 30-90 mins, I'd kill for every 1.5-3 hours! DD1 also did this so at least I have experience that they do grow out of it eventually...hang in there!

Beachgirl15 Sat 17-Jan-15 08:45:57

Thanks all. I feel bad moaning when I know others sleep far less - and yes, I was REALLY lucky w my first but I think this time round it's a combination of having a very busy and active toddler in the day which is wonderful - but exhausting. Good idea to sleep in spare room. Will try that! Let's hope he grows out if it soon, bless him. Just so frustrating when all the books and 'advisors' say he should be sleeping more. Clearly not! X

Cavort Sat 17-Jan-15 09:37:31

Sounds like a normal baby for his age and you were just very lucky with your first. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: