Talk

Advanced search

When should my 4mo sleep in her own room?

(12 Posts)
Charlie1330 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:03:19

Our daughter currently sleeps in our room in her cot but every time we go to bed we disturb her and I think we disturb her during the night too. When have you put your child in their own room, and has it helped them sleep better?

Hobby2014 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:05:29

Officially, not til 6 months. But I know lots of people have done it sooner. I think the answer will be do what's right for you.

FATEdestiny Wed 14-Jan-15 22:08:49

Are you doing night feeds Charlie?

Charlie1330 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:12:42

Yes but hoping they might lessen if we didn't disturb her

33goingon64 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:20:21

We moved DS at 2.5 months and this is by no means the earliest among people I've talked to. Try her in her moses basket in the cot to get used to the room but in a familiar immediate environment - do this for daytime naps for a week or so and then start at night.

FATEdestiny Wed 14-Jan-15 22:22:35

That might be true. Or it might be that instead of just leaning over to feed/sort out baby that you have to get up, out of bed, walk to another room and have no bed to sit on whilst sorting baby out.

Personally I find my room easier for a baby until they are sleeping through. Teaching baby to sleep through some disturbance is a good thing in the long run.

I know lots of people who have moved baby to their own room sooner, or are thinking about it. I want what's easiest though.

Pastmyduedate0208 Thu 15-Jan-15 12:18:07

In other European coyntries the standard age is 3 months. Apparently babies have a natural 'window' for learning to sleep through the night aged 3-4 months. It's more effective teaching sleeping through if they have their own room.
I'm moving ds at three months (if his room is ready lol!).

splendide Thu 15-Jan-15 13:37:18

How on earth do you teach a 3 month old anything though?

FATEdestiny Thu 15-Jan-15 18:27:25

You can start teaching baby good habits pretty much from birth.

I used to rock my first born to sleep, it became a nightmare because she couldn't get to sleep without being rocked. I soon learnt that I could easily 'teach' my second born to go to sleep without me.

My first born had to have silence to sleep and any tiny sound or movement would wake her. I made sure DC2 slept in a loud, bright room from birth so that he 'learnt' to sleep despite disturbances around him.

I used to feed DC1 the moment she woke in the night - so scared was I at the prospect of hours awake trying to get her back to sleep after a feed. DC2 could settle by himself but I still fed at the first murmur in the night, for fear that if he woke enough he would not settle back to sleep. By DC3 I had leant that a dummy can often replace a night feed as long as baby is fed enough through the daytime. So I had 'taught' DC3 and DC4 to sleep through by 3 months by offering the dummy in the night time first and feeding more often in the daytime.

So yes, babies can learn good habits from birth. Parents often learn good habits with subsequent children too.

Heatherbell1978 Thu 15-Jan-15 19:16:08

DS1 is 21 weeks and we'll be moving him soon. Would have done it a few weeks ago but he had a cold which has lingered. I think it's baby dependent to be honest. He's not sleeping through the night but we're 'only' feeding at 12am and 5am so it feels like we need to make the move soon. I've put him down for his daytime naps in his own room since he was 6 weeks.

firsttimemumma2014 Fri 16-Jan-15 13:11:15

We moved our DS into his own room at 6 weeks - early for some I know but neither he or we were getting much sleep. He settled really well into his own room and I never had any issues with transferring him from his Moses to his cot. When he was in with us he was waking every 1-2 hours and wouldn't settle unless I put him on the boob although he wasn't feeding properly. I was trying to feed him to sleep and he was inevitably waking once his head hit the Moses mattress leading to lots of pacing the room and rocking. We were also waking him when we went to bed/ snored/ used the bathroom etc.

Since being in his own room I put him down awake at 7 after feed and he goes off himself. Now at 13 weeks he wakes once to be fed after his dream feed and then wakes properly around half 7. He is much happier after getting more consolidated hours of sleep, as are we! I know advice is to keep them in with you for 6 months but I think we would have all gone crazy....

SamanthaC90 Tue 20-Jan-15 17:37:09

We've just moved our 4 month old to her own room in her cot as she has outgrown her moses basket. We keep her downstairs with us til around 9pm as she tends to wake up crying sometime between 7-9but once she is re settled she goes up,but she has been sleeping through since 12 weeks for 12-13 hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: