Talk

Advanced search

What is in your baby's crib/cot?

(26 Posts)
pipnchops Wed 14-Jan-15 07:45:14

Apologies for the probably very weird and silly question! My 3 month old DD has just moved from sleeping in her Moses basket to her crib, still by the side of my bed, as she was getting too big for her Moses basket. I'm quite a stickler for the guidelines as I'm such a worrier, so her crib has no bumpers or cuddly toys in it, there's literally just a sheet in it, and obviously at night there's my DD in her sleeping bag in it as well! Her Moses basket was very pretty and had frilly sheets with patterns on the side and I used to use nice blankets tucked in tightly sound her as sleeping bags were too big to fit in. Now I feel like her crib is just boring by comparison! I was wondering what other people do to make their baby's cribs or cots look more appealing for their little ones? I know it's silly but I feel cruel not having anything else in there!

Artandco Wed 14-Jan-15 07:46:40

Just sleeping bag, and small comfort toy at that age

Around 18months added cot pillow, around 2 years took cotbed sides off and added cotbed duvet

flanjabelle Wed 14-Jan-15 07:50:13

Nothing, dd is 15mo and she has just a sheet then her sleeping bag when she's in it. If she wakes early in the moring I give her some toys to play with but there is nothing in there otherwise. I would just worry about the risks.

Waggamamma Wed 14-Jan-15 07:54:40

Nothing in it here either, just a sheet and ds goes in him sleeping bag with blanket over the top (cold house!).

It would be nice to have a pretty cot with nice things in but it's not worth the safety risk imo.

JuniperTisane Wed 14-Jan-15 07:54:45

The only extra thing we had at that age was a dangly mobile attached above the cot, but that came down once they were able to reach it.

QuietTinselTardis Wed 14-Jan-15 07:55:27

Dd has about 6 small cuddly toys. She's 13 months. She snuggles up to them when she goes to sleep. I know there's a risk but she can move herself about easily so will keep them there.

QuietTinselTardis Wed 14-Jan-15 07:56:08

Oh and she's in a gro bag so can't wriggle under blankets. And no bumper or pillow.

CoodleMoodle Wed 14-Jan-15 08:07:24

DD is 10 months and sleeps on her back all night, but does wriggle up to the top of the cot. She's got a sheet, sleeping bag and blanket (knitted, full of holes so not worried about breathing problems), as well as her muslin which she snuggles up to and can't sleep without. We've got an air-wrap bumper too but it's not that great.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 14-Jan-15 08:16:24

Nothing at that age. From about 6 months she had a cuddly toy, and still has the same one now at 13 months. I think it being 'boring' is a good thing as it promotes sleep rather than play.

bonzo77 Wed 14-Jan-15 08:19:24

Nothing. And still nothing 2 years later. It's safer, cleaner, easier to change the sheet, and helps stop them developing an attachment to a special toy.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 14-Jan-15 08:23:14

bonzo I have been positively encouraging an attachment to a special toy, anything to make her sleep smile

SoMuchForSubtlety Wed 14-Jan-15 08:25:58

Just a comforter you thing and a blanket. Cots are for sleeping, not for playing in or being interested by - I want it to be as boring as possible for DD so she sleeps!

SoMuchForSubtlety Wed 14-Jan-15 08:26:23

Comforter toy thing (stupid autocorrect).

Eminybob Wed 14-Jan-15 08:29:25

When shopping for nursery stuff I bought a bedding set which included a bumper. Now the duvet can't be used until DS is a toddler and I've taken the bumper off as I had heard they were unsafe. So my nice matchy matchy nursery (have curtains etc) is not so matchy any more.

I have ordered a mesh airflow bumper in a similar theme though as DS keeps getting his arms caught through the bars.

Rubberstamp Wed 14-Jan-15 08:29:36

My 12 month old has a couple of books, some small toys, a water non spill cup (that she helps herself to at night), a taggy thing and some soft toys. She sits and plays with them in the morning until I get up for work. Had these from when she could roll, stand etc.

Rubberstamp Wed 14-Jan-15 08:31:13

To add, this doesn't seem to have any effect on her sleep, she sleeps from 6.30ish until about 7am. I sometimes hear her having a drink at night.

pipnchops Wed 14-Jan-15 09:57:57

Thanks all, this is all very reassuring!

nutellawithbananas Wed 14-Jan-15 10:07:34

We didn't have anything at that age (although I did stack my bf stash box at one end - snacks and a bottle of water because it was a bedside cot and I had lost my bedside cabinet) and had probably just started to use a sleeping bag.
At 6 months I put in a comforter type toy but he never really took to it.
Now at 18 months we have nothing other than a pillow (that got introduced following a cough/cold period to help her not choke on snot and mucus) because she starts playing rather than going to sleep - once asleep I might put a teddy or doll in with the vain hope that she might play with them in the morning rather than demand a parent but that rarely happens...

DilysDerwent Wed 14-Jan-15 17:19:05

Sheet, sleeping bag and Ewan the sheep!

Kelly1814 Wed 14-Jan-15 18:55:25

Absolutely nothing but her two comforter toys, which are tiny.

Only1scoop Wed 14-Jan-15 18:57:04

I didn't have anything in cot until dd was about one....was always paranoid about something or other....

Still am confused

Littlef00t Wed 14-Jan-15 19:03:08

Mesh breathable bumper as kept getting her hands stuck through the bars, Ewan the dream sheep at the bottom, and a comforter.

hadba couple of hard toys at 4mo as she didn't like the cot and so played with them in there sometimes.

SquattingNeville Wed 14-Jan-15 19:03:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dontforgetyourbrolly Wed 14-Jan-15 19:11:41

At that age , just a sheet, blanket ( he can't stand sleeping bags )' and a muslin , because he's always loved to hold one as he drifts off to sleep. We had a mobile above the cot but took this down when he could reach it.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 14-Jan-15 22:40:23

DS is almost ten months.

He has air-flow bumpers and a sheet over his mattress. He sleeps in a sleeping bag.

As had been said, cots are for sleeping in not an area of entertainment grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: