Talk

Advanced search

Bedside cot. When did you move them into their own room?

(7 Posts)
ColdCottage Mon 12-Jan-15 20:42:40

I love my bedside cot and DS 8 months still fits easily but I think I will need to drop the base down a little soon so he doesn't climb out.

Always thought I would have moved him into his own room by now but initially it was delayed due to my bad back (discomfort in moving) and now it just seems more natural to have him close while he is small (been watching Monkey World on Really and seeing all the primates having their LOs close for so much longer than us) - might be the hormones.

Just worried it will be super hard to move him into his own room the older he is.

All advice, experiences welcomed.

Thanks

ColdCottage Mon 12-Jan-15 21:56:45

Bump

HappyAsASandboy Mon 12-Jan-15 22:05:50

We moved our twins at just over three years smile

That might be a bit longer than you are planning, but it worked for us. They do still come in to our bed at some point in the the night though, despite being just over four now. But we like cuddles, so they're welcome any time smile

Do whatever works for you, and don't worry too much about how you'll do things in the future. If you try to move him now, it might be easy or difficult; same if you make the move later. You will never know whether the other decision would have been easier ...

flanjabelle Mon 12-Jan-15 22:08:33

<looks at 15mo dd...>

Erm... Not yet.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 12-Jan-15 22:11:49

8 months, we were selling the flat and had to make it look like 2 rooms rather than one crammed sleeping room and a dressing room/ dumping ground.
I cried the first night, baby was totally fine. Into a proper bed at 13 months as was scaling his cot.

Frecklefacedgirls Mon 12-Jan-15 22:12:11

Hi,I didn't cosleep as such with DS or DD1 though they were in a cot in our room till they were about 2 and when they moved it was often musical beds at night with them coming into our bed during the night or me ending up in theirs.
When DD2 came along we got a bedside co sleeping cot and she slept there till she was 2 ,at which point she happily moved into a room with her sister. However she would often sneak back into our bed during the night, I would sometimes wake up to find her snuggled up tucked under my arm!
DD3 is now nearly 9 mths and cosleeping with us, we're not intending to move her anytime soon, like you I feel it's natural to keep her close.
They're little for such a short time, we never stressed too much about getting them in their own rooms and keeping them there, it happens eventually anyway.

FATEdestiny Mon 12-Jan-15 22:13:05

I have moved each of my children once they are sleeping through the night.

DC1 was 12 months. DC2 was 8 months. DC3 was 6 months.

I do it in stages.

First I put the side of the bedside cot up, so still next to me and at the same height, but cot side between us.

Then lower the cot base so that baby and me are different heights but still next to each other and I can reach in.

Then move cot a few meters away from our bed.

Then move cot to the end of our bed, so that baby gets used to not seeing us.

Then into own room.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: