Talk

Advanced search

5 Month old very distressed and will not sleep!

(5 Posts)
Elguapo Sun 11-Jan-15 22:02:03

Hello everyone, I'm reposting this here from another thread as it's more appropriate here.

Anyway, last time I posted here it was about our new born with reflux. You all were a massive support and help during that time and we managed to get through it pretty successfully, So another massive thank you is in order.

Anyway, since then our DS had begun to really come in to his own regarding sleeping and was beginning to sleep 8-10 hour stretches without to much fuss. It was awesome and we were thanking our lucky stars.

Unfortunately about three weeks ago we noticed him becoming more and more restless around bed time. It was taking considerably longer to settle him down to sleep. In the last week this has escalated into full blown in intense, hard, distressed unconsolable crying. The only thing that will settle him is if my wife breast feeds him to sleep, which we are only doing out of sheer desperation and even then his sleep is shallow and restless. Needless to say we are back to being so sleep deprived we are near crumbling.

My wife has read about 4-5 month sleep regression? Is this something any of you have knowledge or experience with? I don't know if that is what is going on here, but whatever it is it's bloody hard and we're not sure what to do or where to go regarding setting a distraught screaming baby.

I'm not a big fan of letting DS cry in out for too long, especially if his cries go to that next level of distress. I have a terrible feeling that the answer is to "Just ride it out, and it will get better". In the mean time we would happily listen with all ears to any advice, ideas or common experiences that might shed some light on getting DS to sleep and/or keeping our sanity.

Thanks Y'all.

J & A.

undertheduvet Sun 11-Jan-15 22:07:09

Is it teething? Or have ypu started weaning yet, maybe something is causing pain?

Elguapo Sun 11-Jan-15 22:19:27

We definitely thought about teething, but why would he be totally fine throughout the entire day and only start up when we begin to put him down for bed?

Fleeceblankets Sun 11-Jan-15 22:28:06

We had this - screaming fits out of the blue at bedtime around the five month mark. Even though he knew how to self settle by then. It was either overtiredness or under tiredness in our case (never figured out which) as DS slept really badly during the day (short cat naps only).

The screaming before bedtime went suddenly one day, around six months I think, literally it was the case one night he was screaming and the next day he was fine (didn't do anything differently).

MoominaMama Mon 12-Jan-15 11:53:30

I have my worst battles with DS going to sleep at bedtime if I get the timing wrong and try to put him down when he is under or over tired. The way I try to combat it is by not having a consistent bedtime ... but having his bedtime dictated that day by when he woke up from his last nap. So his bedtime is always somewhere between 6pm and 730pm, with the same bedtime routine just starting at different times.

For DS he has an awake window of 1hr 45 or multiples of this. So if he woke up from his last nap at 3pm he would need to be ready to lay down to sleep at either 445pm (too early) or 630pm. Miss that by even 10 minutes and all bets are off.

As he gets older and his 'awake and happy' times increase I am hoping to move to the 2 3 4 method which in turn will hopefully make his naps more consistent. So as an example ..

7am wake up
9am nap (2 hrs after wake up)
1030am wake up
130pm nap (3 hrs after last wake up)
330pm wake up
730pm bed (4 hrs after nap)

I by no means am an expert or know what I am talking about ... this is just my experience so far and hopeful plan for the future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now