Talk

Advanced search

toddler coughing at night only any advice?

(14 Posts)
milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:18:19

he is 2 yrs old and has a minor cold but when he lies down he coughs all night - any advice

cerealqueen Sun 11-Jan-15 13:21:57

prop the bed up at the headboard, a humidifier, Vicks on the soles of feet with socks on top, olbas oil on a hanky are all things I do

milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:23:33

thanks, tried propping the bed but he slides to the bottom of cot! how do you prop it?

amidaiwish Sun 11-Jan-15 13:24:04

Use an extra pillow. Turn down/off the radiator and give him warmer bedding.

milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:25:08

a pillow under the mattress?

lem73 Sun 11-Jan-15 13:27:09

I agree with everything said but if it persists despite following the advice I would take him to the gp. DD had similar symptoms and she was given an inhaler.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Sun 11-Jan-15 13:28:05

Mine does the same - has a couple of coughing fits every night, sometimes waking him. Today I am changing all his bedding, hoovering every inch and airing out his room, but watching with interest!

milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:31:07

i think my ds cough is caused hy the extra mucus as a result of his cold, i heard onions work?!

amidaiwish Sun 11-Jan-15 13:36:50

Pineapple juice is good.
Does he have a pillow? You need to raise his head.

milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:43:26

no, he tends to wriggle about so much at night, so not sure he'd stay on a pillow.

octopal Sun 11-Jan-15 13:45:36

Sometimes a night cough can be a symptom of asthma. I would get it checked out.

milkyman Sun 11-Jan-15 13:58:35

even if it only happens when he has a cold and lasts only for a couple of nights?

FluffyRedSocks Sun 11-Jan-15 14:04:12

No idea but lurking as dd has exactly the same.
It sounds really Mucas-ey, and her chest rattles in the day, but no coughing.. I haven't got round to taking her to the drs blush

sweetboysmum Sun 11-Jan-15 18:43:18

Hi, I would also say that if it's a regular thing when your child has a child, I'd get it checked out. In dealing with it just now, i agree with advice you've received already. My DS who is now 6, has an inhaler. He only needs to use it 2 or 3 times a year when he gets a cold (goes straight to his chest). Saying that, I've been coughing loads recently at night and I usually have no chest problems at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now