Advanced search

How long will 4 month sleep regression last?

(13 Posts)
Terramirabilis Thu 08-Jan-15 19:43:12

My DS or should that be just S ! is four months and for the last two to three weeks has seen his sleep deteriorate. He had been sleeping eight to ten hours a night without waking since six weeks old. Last night was the worst yet with a nighttime of eleven till seven but with four wakings during that eight hour period. Each time it was waking due to hunger and he soon went back to sleep, no problems after eating. However clearly waking up four times a night isn't fun. I understand it's growth and development related but how long is it likely to last?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 08-Jan-15 20:22:38

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but DD's is still going on at 14 months! If has just never really improved. I'm sure that's very unusual though smile

museumum Thu 08-Jan-15 20:25:56

I think ours was terrible for a month, but he had been feeding before it and continued 1 or 2 feeds a night after the worst was over.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 08-Jan-15 20:30:13

My dc went from sleeping through 7-7 to waking 1-2 hourly all night long as four months. Sad to say they didn't sleep through again until 2years (dd) and 11months (ds) with a bit of sleep my opinion it's the point at which waking is no longer all driven by hunger and more about habit/sleep associations etc.

Terramirabilis Thu 08-Jan-15 21:43:45

Oh dear! You're not being very encouraging!

PterodactylTeaParty Fri 09-Jan-15 21:39:46

DD's lasted about six weeks, but the really rough part only two or three weeks. Her sleep didn't go back to the way it was (waking 1x night) afterwards, but did get a lot lot better than it was during the regression.

9-month one is currently flattening me though...

lemonpoppyseed Fri 09-Jan-15 21:49:08

DD just turned six months. Her sleep has never gone back to the way it was before the regression, but it's much better than it was during the regression. Hope you have a better outcome!

mp126 Sat 10-Jan-15 13:20:59

My little son is just turned to 4months and we had a pretty rough time over Christmas. After only waking once a night for ages, he started waking every few hours. I decided to change around his day naps. He now sleeps 45min in the morning (between 9-10), about 2hours at lunch time (between 12-2) and about 10-15min power nap around 4pm. I also started putting him to his cot awake to get him to self settle. He now sleeps from 6.30pm to 6.30am with feed around 2am. It has taken about a week but has sorted the sleeping problems at night.

Gemmac1983 Sat 10-Jan-15 15:11:30

I'm going through the same thing also. My lo who's 19 weeks used to sleep between 4/6 hours on his first sleep but now he wakes after an hour and then every hour or two after that and wants bfeeding each time!! It's been going on for weeks now so I'm sorry ive no advice either but just wanted you to know you are not alone and let's hope it passes soon!!!

jessplussomeonenew Sat 10-Jan-15 17:40:47

Not sure if it helps but it could be worse! My little one never had fewer than 2-3 wakeups a night before the regression, and 4 was a fairly normal night for him. Since the regression started a month ago he has been averaging about 8 wakeups a night, sometimes 10-12 on a bad night. To make matters worse he'll only nap when held/in the sling so I'm not able to catch up on sleep by napping in the daytime. We're trying everything we can to get him to sleep, day and night, but he still doesn't seem to be getting enough sleep so he's cranky a lot of the time. Really, really hoping he gets better soon as I can't take this much longer!

LindsayS79 Sat 10-Jan-15 21:04:11

I think that's when I introduced a dummy. As far as I can remember it worked quite well.
I'm currently going through the 18month sleep regression and the dummy is not working this time....!

PrimroseEverdeen Tue 13-Jan-15 11:05:54

My son is 7 months and he has got better, however never went back to sleeping through. Probably not what you want to hear. Sorry!

Bumpforme2014 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:38:34

Going through the same here, I have tried to change nap times during day and introduced an earlier bedtime with dream feed and she still wakes at 3am for no reason! Week 3 here and it has already got better but she still has frequent wakings with every single night different from previous. We have decided to introduce a dummy because I can't stand the hour I have to hold her to get her back to sleep, I know if she has something to suck on she will go straight back to sleeo although I am scared it will get her into habit of waking for dummy though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now