Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on crib bumpers

(13 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Thu 08-Jan-15 08:34:54

DS2 is 9wks and until a week or so ago was sleeping in his Moses.

We've switched to a crib now as he was beginning to fill the Moses what with his winter sleeping bag, plus it was becoming increasingly difficult to put him in asleep without waking as I found there was no 'escape' for my arms as I was effectively penned in by the sides of the basket once I'd lowered him in. You know what that tilt button is like on a baby - one wrong nudge or movement at the wrong time and it's game over and start again with an awake baby!!! It's all about a smooth transfer....

However he's waking more frequently at night since we moved him and I wonder if he's a bit cold and less cosy in the crib. It feels rather exposed with those open sides and our bedroom isn't the warmest. It's not a huge crib but in nevertheless 'open' in a way Moses baskets aren't.

I've put an extra blanket on him but wondering about a bumper to help it feel a bit more snug. However lots of people don't recommend them because of smothering etc.

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to sell them though...? DS2 is big and strong but doesn't yet turn or roll or move in his sleep. Don't know if that is a factor in their favour.

Do others use them?

Trooperslane Thu 08-Jan-15 08:38:28

I always wondered why they were sold when the advice is so clear in not using them.

You could roll up a towel - would that work better?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Thu 08-Jan-15 08:39:31

Just been reading other threads on here about them and how most people consider them unsafe.

What's the difference between a baby pushing its face up against a crib bumper and the side of a Moses though..?

Although I guess crib bumpers could fall off on top of them..

Laquila Thu 08-Jan-15 08:43:52

I definitely wouldn't use a standard bumper but I'd heartily recommend the Airwrap. Mine fits on a cotbed but I think they do a smaller cot size too, and they're adjustable because of the velcro. Personally I only went used gro-bags and wouldn't use a blanket, but that's entirely up to you (and I'm not sure what the official advice is).

benfoldsfive Thu 08-Jan-15 08:57:41

The main safety issues is the ties that are used to secure them to the cot. Baby's can be strangled by them and accidently hand themselves . Get hands and fingers trapped in them. The ties also don't give way if a baby becomes entangled in the bumper and can suffocate as the struggle to get free sad. There are safe alternatives that wrap around 2 bars a time with velcro. no idea what they are called as I avoided them.

Abra1d Thu 08-Jan-15 09:03:52

What about getting him a baby sleeping bag? They really kept my two cosy on winter nights.

dementedpixie Thu 08-Jan-15 09:07:36

he's already in a sleeping bag. They aren't supposed to be used with extra bedding though as that defeats the object of using the bag (can't get it over their face). I never used a bumper in a crib or cot.

calmexterior Thu 08-Jan-15 09:11:17

No no no please don't use them they are unsafe. Stop air circulating and also babies have died getting caught in the tags. There is a petition to ban them.

flipflopsonfifthavenue Thu 08-Jan-15 09:29:38

How do they stop air circulating more than being in a Moses? And don't they only come part way up the bars at one end only? Would have thought there was lots of air circulating. I can see how babies might get tangled but don't get the air circulation thing.

Anyway I think I'll steer clear. Maybe he's waking because he's a beast and just wants milk and to sleep on mummy all night long...

workingtitle Thu 08-Jan-15 11:23:12

I second the airwrap that Laquila mentions - no risk of trapping fingers/hanging or suffocation, but creates a visual barrier that I think made DS feel less exposed.

FurryGiraffe Thu 08-Jan-15 11:37:05

I'm also a fan of the airwrap. Velcros on and very breathable so very safe. I used one because DS was a big fan of sticking his arms out between the bars of the cot in his sleep and waking up because he was stuck!

hhhhhhh Sat 10-Jan-15 19:48:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BananaHammocks Sun 11-Jan-15 07:29:48

I use the airwrap too, no ties and they can breath through it if they smush their face against it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now