Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with naps!

(8 Posts)
sleepybuthappy Tue 06-Jan-15 09:47:04

DS is 7 months and has always fed to sleep for naps and at bed time. This has always been relatively unproblematic but recently he has started to wake within 10 mins of being put in his cot and is almost impossible to settle back to sleep - if I latch him back on he will feed but won't fall asleep, and I used to be able to rock him to sleep but he is just too big now and kicks and wriggles in my arms. I know the answer is probably that I have to start putting him down awake, but how do you achieve this in reality?? I don't want to do CC. If I try to stop him feeding before he falls asleep he just desperately tries to latch back on and gets upset. Was thinking I could maybe try giving him a bottle before his naps instead of breast feeding as am trying to transition... Any tips or advice would be so welcome, I feel like I'm losing my mind - at the moment I spend both nap times rocking, feeding and cuddling to no avail and often he will have slept a total of 15 minutes in a two hour period. Help!

sleepybuthappy Tue 06-Jan-15 10:27:17

Anyone?

Thesimplethings Tue 06-Jan-15 10:34:19

What's his routine? How many naps?

sleepybuthappy Tue 06-Jan-15 10:47:00

Up somewhere between 7-7.30. We go up for his morning nap about 8.45 but am trying to stretch to 9. He breastfeeds for about 15 mins, falls asleep and I put him in his bed. I give up on the morning nap at 10.30 - sometimes he sleeps the whole time but usually wakes several times and needs rocked or fed back to sleep. Then we go up for his lunchtime nap between 12.30 and 1pm, same as morning, feeds for about 15 mins, falls asleep, I put him down and he usually wakes within 15 mins. Lunchtime nap is way worse than morning nap. I give up on the lunchtime nap between 2.30 and 3. Until last week he was also having a brief nap in the pram about 4.30 but I'm trying to drop this nap as he's fighting sleep at bedtime and sleeps much better if he hasn't had this late sleep.
At night he usually wakes 2-3 times and feeds at least twice.

sleepybuthappy Tue 06-Jan-15 13:53:21

Nobody??

Thesimplethings Tue 06-Jan-15 13:56:37

Have you tried putting him in pram/pushchair and going for walk at nap times to get him into the habit of sleeping then? It worked for mine, I then just pushed the pushchair back and forth in the hall till asleep so I could get some jobs done.

sleepybuthappy Tue 06-Jan-15 14:31:18

I had thought of that. Did you find your DC would sleep for a while once you stopped pushing or did you have to push the whole nap? Did you put the pram somewhere dark?

Thesimplethings Wed 07-Jan-15 06:52:30

Once they were asleep they slept for a while. I just put pushchair in hallway. It took a while to get them into the habit of sleeping at certain times but it was worth it as I had a 16 month age gap and needed the breaks for my sanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now