Talk

Advanced search

Taking cot side off - dreading it

(4 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Mon 05-Jan-15 20:45:28

DD has never been a great sleeper. She is now 2.5 and starting to attempt climbing out.
Bedtimes already can involve multiple trips to her room as she just cries and yells. DH has zero patience and is rubbish at putting his foot down (PFB big time) so I'm terrified of the side coming down.

Will be installing a gate, but I know it will be a hard slog for me - DH cannot cope with the struggles goes into a full on sulk and is miserable like the world has ended if she calls out even once but won't accept that his constant changing the routine and rules exacerbates everything

Anyway, someone please give me hope and confidence. I have a 16 week DS who sleeps in the room next to hers so I'm also dreading the screaming will wake him!

Iggly Mon 05-Jan-15 20:46:38

We sat with ours at that age. Went to sleep quickly mostly as long as had lights out and no talking.

Take the sides off and leave DH to it.

LittleMissRayofHope Mon 05-Jan-15 20:50:00

When she was 12 months I say by her bed as up til that point I had fed her to sleep. Did gradual retreat over a period of time. Since then bed times have had their ups and downs. We do go through good periods where she goes down without a sound. But lately it's been screaming and crying for like 30 mins sad

He won't be able to do it. If I do it I'll rapid return. No talking, no explaining, no reasoning. He will engage with her constantly. Attempting to reason and explain and bargain with her. Which I feel only gives her hope and keeps our attention.

Iggly Mon 05-Jan-15 21:38:55

No point reasoning with a toddler!

I found rapid return stressful and more so if there's a sibling around - she'll think there's more exciting stuff going on. We just sat and didn't engage. They both share which helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now