Talk

Advanced search

Should I be sleep training my 13 week old??

(9 Posts)
Rehcallag14 Sun 04-Jan-15 11:06:25

Hi

My LO is 13 weeks old. She has been a light sleeper since birth but did sleep in her crib. She would wake regularly and not always for food. About 6 weeks ago I started bringing her into bed for feeds (still breastfeeding) and she would go back off to sleep suckling. We then got into the habit of her coming to bed with me and sleeping there all night. OH moved to the spare room. The last 4 nights we have been putting her back in the crib to go to sleep, she really cries which is heartbreaking. sad We never leave her alone but we do let her cry but for no longer than 2 minutes before picking her up to reassure her, calm her and then put her back down. This goes on for about 2 hours before she goes off. Or we will just end up rocking her to sleep on us and putting her down once asleep. She will then sleep until she wants a feed and goes down fine between feeds. Just wondering if this is right thing to do with a baby so young? And if anyone has other tips to minimise the crying. She won't take a dummy either, but does still want something to suck as she would suck my finger. She hasn't found her thumb yet.

Thanks

notoneforselfies Sun 04-Jan-15 11:17:54

In my opinion, no. She is too young. Any method that involves leaving the cry (even for 2 minutes, which is really quite a long time when a baby that small is crying) should not be thought about until 6 months old. I'm not a fan of extinction methods full stop, but each to their own... So long as the baby is old enough.

Hakluyt Sun 04-Jan-15 11:23:36

No. Just feed her when she cries. She has no wants that aren't also needs at this age.

VioletandRoger Sun 04-Jan-15 11:25:58

No she needs you.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sun 04-Jan-15 11:27:50

No, she far too small for that. She needs to know you are there for her whether it's milk or comfort she needs.

blackgoat Sun 04-Jan-15 11:28:30

No, she is too young, she needs you.

Heatherbell1978 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:43:12

Can you persevere a bit with the dummy? A babys first instinct is to spit them out but if you hold it in a bit she might take it. My mum gave me that advice and it worked and it's worked for a few friends who said their babies didn't take one. My LO (19 wks) likes to suck to sleep and the dummy has been a lifesaver since he was about 4 wks. He sleeps really well and in his own crib, never had to co-sleep.

Joesmummy1 Tue 06-Jan-15 07:37:22

hi I contacted sleep consultant at www.sleepbabies.co.uk when my son was 10 weeks old and she said she wouldn't work with babies this age as they needed to be fed on demand. She gave me tips such as putting baby down awake in moses basket to go to sleep and sit next to him to comfort etc. Really helped and I used her properly at 7 months old. I think you just have to go with it..It get's better.

middlings Tue 06-Jan-15 07:39:55

No you shouldn't - sorry sad. Believe me I know how hard it is.

I also contacted a sleep consultant who wouldn't work with us until DD2 was 6 months. I did contact her then and she was genius.

You'll miss the sleepy cuddles when they're gone - I do kind of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now