Talk

Advanced search

How long does your toddler take to go to sleep?

(10 Posts)
Queazy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:36:27

Sitting here listening to my 16mo chatting away on the baby monitor. She normally takes at least 30min to fall asleep but often a lot longer, and sometimes she only sleeps after she's cried for a few mins and one of us has gone up and hugged her. Is this normal? Thinking I might be putting her to bed too early so she's far more tired and ready to go straight to sleep

LittleBearPad Sat 03-Jan-15 19:39:20

If she's chatting away then it may be she's quite happy winding down. My 2.5 year old is often awake looking at her Peppa magazines for 20-30 mins after we say good night before falling asleep (on them)

Queazy Sat 03-Jan-15 19:48:08

Oh bless her smile She's throwing all her bunnies over the cot bars and laughing so my dh has gone up to calm her down. I can hear him shushing her over the monitor as she laughs. Little monkey! I let her nap until 4pm tonight, so think I'm to blame for this one. It's funny, I know as an adult that I am tired more on some days than others, but I think I need the routine of her going to bed and sleeping at the same time everyday! x

ChristmasMoaner1 Sun 04-Jan-15 07:04:09

DC1 didn't go into her own bed until 18 months but she would take about half an hour to go to sleep after we left the room. she would look through her books then just lie down when she got sleepy.

Queazy Sun 04-Jan-15 07:34:44

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm just adjusting to the fact she's not a baby anymore! She used to fall asleep as soon as she got in her cot (after 6 months) and now sits in the dark chatting to her toys.

Imperial Sun 04-Jan-15 08:00:39

How long does she nap for in the day and for how long? Mine all needed to cut their naps down quite early but even for a more 'normal' child I suspect a nap til 4 would mess with bedtime.

I also needed to get mine outside for fresh air and exercise post nap at that age.

It is hard adjusting to them having less day time sleep but it does free up your day to get out and about more.

Queazy Sun 04-Jan-15 08:52:07

At her childminders she'll have one nap because the other kids do, but at home she might have two if we're out and about as she's so tired and just flakes out in the car or pram. The one nap is usually 1.5hrs, an additional nap would be 40min. I'm going to aim for a 1pm nap today but was planning on going out for the day, so depends how long she'll sleep in the pram. She's not a stationary sleeper - needs to be moving, which is a bit tiring when it's raining!!

Queazy Sun 04-Jan-15 09:07:38

Hi she naps once in the day at childminders but she'll often nap twice at home, especially if we're out and about as she tends to flake out in the car. These would be 1.5hrs and 40mins. She took 2hrs to go to sleep last night, as I think she was feeling poorly too. She used to be able to nap until 4-5pm and then still be asleep by 7:30pm, but I've got to just realise she's changing every week and so her schedule needs to adjust too! I find one long lunchtime nap really restrictive as she won't sleep stationary in a buggy, but I know it's only for a year or two, so will start working on a 1pm nap. Thanks again

Queazy Sun 04-Jan-15 09:08:07

p.s. I think lack of fresh air didn't help yesterday either!

LittleBearPad Sun 04-Jan-15 09:16:34

Whenever you get used to one thing, they change grin. Try to make sure she doesn't nap after 3.30/4 and it might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now