Talk

Advanced search

Help!

(14 Posts)
QuietTinselTardis Wed 31-Dec-14 11:09:05

Dd is a bloody awful sleeper. Has been for months and is now nearly 13 months old. I've been feeding to sleep in the night (normally between 5-10 times) as she just screams and ds has school so not fair on him.
Anyway we were away for a week after Christmas and decided that when we got back we have a week before ds starts school to sort it out,
Decided to do cc as more gentle methods have done bugger all,
Anyway she woke up 6 times Monday night and I went in, laid her down told her to go to sleep and walked out, she didn't cry for more than a minute each time when she went back to sleep again so that was good and a lot less stressful than I was expecting.
Last night she didn't wake for the first time until 1.20am shock and then woke at 2.40, 4 and 5. Same thing as night before, a couple of mins crying at one wake up but no more than that. She cried out once at 5.25am (her normal wake up time) and then slept in until 6.35am. Fabulous
I have tried for an hour and a half to get her to sleep for her nap this morning! I fed her as normal and put her down and walked out. Normally she rolls over and goes to sleep for naps with no probs but she was just sat there playing when I checked on her 15 mins later. I have sat next to the cot and thought she was asleep but when I left the room she started crying and she just wouldn't settle even with me sat next to her. I fed her again to calm her down and laid her down and walked out but I can still hear her in the monitor? Wtf is going on? She's knackered, I might just get her up and try again later but she's going to be so tired and it will bugger up naps for the day.
What do I do now?

QuietTinselTardis Wed 31-Dec-14 11:20:02

Hav e just got her up and she's grinning away at me, she'd done a poo but it was a fresh one. She's now playing happily.

QuietTinselTardis Wed 31-Dec-14 11:22:42

I'll have to just see if I can get her to have one longer nap after lunch or something I suppose,
Any ideas why she was getting so upset? Really hope it was a one off. I have to get her night time sleep sorted I am so so tired I cannot cope any longer.

QuietTinselTardis Wed 31-Dec-14 11:54:03

Anyone at all?

keepitgoing Wed 31-Dec-14 13:23:29

when did you try and get her to nap? when does she normally nap? if she slept better and longer last night I'd think she's less tired so your routine may need adjustment?

Iggly Wed 31-Dec-14 13:25:14

Agree - she might need tweaking and moving to one nap but it could take a few weeks. E.g. some days she might be ready for two naps, sometimes not.

QuietTinselTardis Wed 31-Dec-14 16:19:13

Thanks for replying. Will see how it goes and just put her to bed when she's tired for the next few days.

QuietTinselTardis Fri 02-Jan-15 10:03:41

Just bumping as I feel awful and need some reassurance. Dd slept well last night, cried out three times but by the time I got to her was asleep so night time has worked wonderfully but she is still cryin before nap time. She's definitely tired as she was falling asleep on boob but as soon as I put her down she's getting upset. She used to just roll over and go to sleep so sleep training at night (even though she's hardly cried) must have affected her?
She's just cried for 5 mins and it's now quiet but she sounded so upset. Feel terrible as it's against all my instincts.
I just don't want to have done her any damage by sleep training but feel like I must have done. Just can't survive on the little sleep I was getting before anymore. I'm wrecked.

keepitgoing Fri 02-Jan-15 18:59:30

oh you poor thing. you won't have damaged her, and it sounds like it's fine really well. what's her schedule like? I'm sure that'll be the answer rather than the sleep training. is she still her usual self in the day?

QuietTinselTardis Fri 02-Jan-15 20:55:42

Thank you keep. Before sleep training she'd normally sleep 9.30-11 and 2-3 and bed about 6.30 then up and down all night long. She finally fell asleep this morning at 10.30 and slept til 11.50 when I got her up and didn't have an afternoon nap as she pooed. Twice. and I fed her to try and get her to drop off and she was having none of it. Will see how the night goes.
I'm not sure she's 100% at the mo but I'm wondering whether to try one nap for a couple of days as she'll be tired enough to hopefully drop off quickly.

keepitgoing Fri 02-Jan-15 21:23:45

mine is nearly 14m and if she sleeps 90 mins in the morning I've had a tough time getting a pm nap. I know lots of people having nap issues around now as the baby's needs change, and maybe yours has changed faster if her night sleep is more restful iyswim. one nap is worth a try; if she's too knackered you could go back to two. I wake my dd after 45 mins in the morning, then she will do 1-2 hours after lunch

I hope you're getting more sleep; I kept waking up every 2 hours for a while

QuietTinselTardis Sun 04-Jan-15 12:48:59

Thanks keep. Will see how it goes

keepitgoing Tue 06-Jan-15 09:25:36

how's it going?

QuietTinselTardis Thu 08-Jan-15 20:55:54

Ok actually. When she woke at night I went in there laid her down and said to go to sleep and then left again and she cried for maybe a minute each time and then went back to sleep, the only problem was when it came to her nap the next morning she cried more then so I had to properly do the controlled crying with her (plus she pooed twice!) so. Took an hour for her to sleep for her nap. It also meant that at bedtimes she's been crying for a minute when before she was just rolling over and going to sleep.
At night she's cried out a couple of times but then gone quiet and wake ups are definitely a lot less. I go in to her if she keeps crying and give her a quick cuddle and lay her down and that usually does the trick.
Still hate the crying even though it's not been as bad as I was expecting. She sounds so upset sometimes even if it's for ten seconds.
She's better now in that the last couple of days/nights she's just cried out as I out her down then rolled over and gone to sleep which is what she was doing before.
So a lot improved. I'm still waking a few times a night and it's annoying me as she's quiet! So pleased as it was so ridiculous before. Just a teeny niggle that I've done some sort of brain damage but that's prob me being guilty mum. She has cried more in the car on a long drive when we can't stop so I don't know why this makes me feel so bad.
Thanks for for listening keep! Sorry have rambled on a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now