Talk

Advanced search

15 week old wont sleep longer than 3 hours

(7 Posts)
clairemitchell1921 Wed 31-Dec-14 06:42:30

Im new on here, really need some advice. This is my first baby, he was 9.1 lbs when born and now 17 lbs, bottlefed on demand on comfort. He has never slept longer than 3 hours at once, I sleep in his room with him. He has a good bedtime routine however he has been ready for bed by 4.30 at the moment, I am trying to move this later as he is up at 3.30 am every day!! I really need advice on how to get him to sleep longer than 3hours. Sometimes he just wakes for a cuddle and goes straight to sleep on me, im thinking of going back to my bed to sleep so I don't hear every noise.

HoggleHoggle Wed 31-Dec-14 07:06:38

At 16 weeks 3 hours doesn't seem too abnormal.

If dc is ready for bed at 4.30 could you not turn that into a nap instead? I think at that age as long as there is 2 hours between waking from last nap and bedtime, that should be fine. So perhaps a nap of an hour, or less, then bedtime at 7/7.30? He can't be going to bed at 4.30, it's far too early and it's not setting his body clock properly.

If you manage to sort out bedtime that should help with the early waking. When he wakes at 3.30 do you feed him? At 16 weeks my ds was still having at least one feed a night. Just don't know from your post of you're treating the 3.30 wake up as a night waking or not.

I read 'your baby month by month' which helped me with lots of things but also have really handy loose guides to sleeping patterns for the first 6 months.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 31-Dec-14 08:36:27

Hmm I don't think not sleeping longer than 3 hours is abnormal at that age. Regarding the 4.30pm bed and early wake ups, I would turn the 4.30pm sleep into a nap and wake the baby up after an hour, then put him down properly at 7.30ish. It should only take a couple of days for him to adjust.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 31-Dec-14 08:36:46

What other naps does he have during the day?

museumum Wed 31-Dec-14 08:39:07

At that age my ds slept 7:30 till 11. 12-3ish and 3:30-6:30ish. So yes, three hour blocks.
I would definitely treat 4:30 as a nap. My ds napped around then till he was about 8minths.

Salene Wed 31-Dec-14 08:41:27

Hi I think that's normal my baby is 14 weeks, was 8lb 9 born and also now 17lb

He is ebf too and only sleeps for 2 hours at a time with the odd 3 hour stint at night, he always feeds when he wakes.

I spoke to HV yesterday as he was being weighed and she said its normal , he still very little and will most likely be like this till nearer the 6 months mark

He is a growing boy and needs his food she said.

He has no routine with regards to day time naps, every day is differnt

imisssleepandwine Wed 31-Dec-14 22:34:07

I have a 15 week old and I'm happy if he sleeps more than 2 hours at a time at night and more than 30 minutes for day time naps. I think we are going through a growth spurt at them moment so he's been waking up for hourly feeds. I am a shadow of my former self.

My DS is also really tired at 4:30pm so I feed him and let him sleep in my arms for an hour or so offer a feed again at 5:30ish to wake him up. Play for 30 minutes or so before starting bath /bed routine. he feeds again at 6pm and is normally asleep at 7pm. this is DC2 so I know it'll get better. good luck OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now