Talk

Advanced search

6 week old awake all night

(5 Posts)
omama Mon 29-Dec-14 00:11:46

DD (6 weeks) still hasnt got her night & day sorted out yet. She sleeps all day then wakes up in the evening & is awake half the night. We are doing a loose bedtime routine of change into pj's & feed then into cot (I say loose as there is no consistency to feed times whatsoever so bedtime routine isnt really at a set time yet we just do it when she wants a feed). We are dimming lights & not interacting at night etc but to no avail.

DD wants to be awake & she will shout/cry until she gets attention. We cannot leave her screaming or she will wake ds(4). So I end up having to hold her until she is ready to sleep. With theamount of time it takes to feed & wind her then settle her it means I'm holding her from one feed to the next. The sleep deprivation is torture I'm exhausted & dont know how to sort it out. Never had this with ds he just got it & was already doing long stretches at this point. Help!

FATEdestiny Mon 29-Dec-14 14:35:08

What about waking her more frequently during the daytime to feed?

I feed my 12 week old every two hours through the day, so daytime sleeps are never more than 90 minutes at a time.

omama Fri 02-Jan-15 02:02:25

Hiya thanks for the reply. She already feeds every 2-3hrs around the clock at mo & is struggling with wind & reflux so cant really add more in.

As I type dd is having another 2hr middle of the night awake session. I am pretending to be asleep while MNing in an effort to fool her into thinking it might be a good idea to sleep at night oh how foolish of me but is now starting to shout. Ugh!

She has woken up a wee bit more in the last day or two & will sometimes be awske for 1-2hrs after a feed, but is still very sleepy most of the time. I was kind of hoping she'd figure it out by herself but looks like I am going to have to try & wake her after her feeds doesnt it.

Whoever said never wake a sleeping baby?!

Rinkydinkypink Fri 02-Jan-15 02:44:26

We had this and the only things that made a big difference were makes a huge fuss in daytime, very boring quiet nights. They do eventually change.

It's difficult when its so dark all day as well!

omama Fri 02-Jan-15 04:01:12

Trust me with ds(4) at home our days are anything but quiet! Just finding it a killer as not getting any opportunity to catch up on sleep in the day. Maybe next week when ds back at school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now