Talk

Advanced search

Manipulative 4 month old

(8 Posts)
plastictoys Sun 28-Dec-14 21:05:32

(Title meant to be lighthearted)

I don't know what on earth to do with 4 month old DS. I thought we had a decent bedtime routine which we started at about 12 weeks - bath, bottle and then bed. He would either fall asleep during his bottle, or I would just cradle him and gently rock for a bit. Before Christmas, we had even started trying to get him to self settle. I thought it was going quite well, although it didn't work every time and it did take him around 30 minutes to go to sleep.

Anyway, over Christmas we went to see relatives. The first night, he cried for 1.5 hours when we tried to put him to bed. We were so exhausted that we decided to take him out in the car, but we didn't need to in the end - as soon as we went downstairs he was all smiles, and then DH and I just went to bed with him.

The next night we managed to put him down, but he woke twice in 30 minutes, so I gave up and brought him downstairs where he fell asleep in my arms.

Now we're back at home, I figured we would be back to normal. But this evening, he has already woken twice and was inconsolable the second time. I brought him downstairs just to check if my theory was right, and lo and behold, all smiles again. DH has now gone to bed with him to try and keep him asleep.

I don't really want to give in and bring him downstairs until we go to bed - he needs to go to bed earlier really. But there seems to be nothing else that can console him when he gets worked up.

As an aside, he has woken up a lot in the night from about 14 weeks. At the moment he wakes about every 2 hours from 10pm onwards.

CitizenOfTheWorld Sun 28-Dec-14 21:09:31

Please don't call a 4 m.o. Manipulative. Sounds like he is not tired. Night waking at 4 months is normal. Of course also exhausting.

dorasee Sun 28-Dec-14 21:11:21

No advice really. I don't think anyone has cracked the infant sleep code, but Lord knows we all wish they'd hurry up. I have decided that 4-6 months is the witching hour of sleep deprivation. It seems to improve from 7-8/months onward... not perfection, but better. I really put it down to teething which can really kick in at 4 months, even if a tooth doesn't pop through for ages.

thinkingaboutthis Sun 28-Dec-14 21:14:57

4 month sleep regression - it passes!

FlossieTreadlight Sun 28-Dec-14 21:16:23

Google 4 month sleep regression ... Grit teeth, it will pass.

CakeMakesMeHappy Sun 28-Dec-14 23:06:41

I don't really have any answers but but lots of sympathy. my dd, now 5 and a bit months, started to do similar after 16 week jabs. Last couple of weeks she's calmed down. She now has a cuddly toy in her cot which she snuggles into , whether this helps her sleep or not I do not know. Dsis stayed over Xmas and was horrified by the waking (de was actually pretty good!). It will get better.

pigsunited Mon 29-Dec-14 16:25:07

Lol, I had the same reaction over Christmas when I told relatives that DS had woken 5 times during the night! It felt quite normal for me, and actually all just became a bit of a blur. And thankfully I can catch up on an hour or two of sleep in the morning while DH looks after DS.

DS also got a cuddly toy from Father Christmas which he seems to like. I can't believe I am saying this, but today he went down for two naps by himself in his big cot (maybe more comfortable than the Bednest he normally sleeps in?) and then had a two hour nap (which is unheard of!) after falling asleep in the carseat! I'm not holding out much hope for tonight, but appreciating this while it lasts.

Ohbollocksandballs Mon 29-Dec-14 16:27:18

I'd say sleep regression/growth spurt. All you can do is stick it out. Coffee helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now