Talk

Advanced search

I sleep through my babies cries...

(8 Posts)
piazilla Sun 28-Dec-14 14:36:10

My ds is 4 weeks old and is breast fed. His crib is right beside my bed and I am so concerned that I am sleeping through his feeds!
He is a sleepy baby and we have only recently gotten to grips with breastfeeding . He tends not to scream and shout , no matter how hungry he gets , and therefore once we get past midnight, I sleep through any cries ds makes. I even set my alarm 3 hours from his last feed and have slept through that too! Help ! has anyone else dealt with a problem like this , and how did you resolve it?

fatterface Sun 28-Dec-14 14:38:02

How do you know he cries?

piazilla Sun 28-Dec-14 14:42:48

My mother is staying with me for a while ( leaving just before new year) and has come in to the room more than once to tell me he was crying! I slept through him hollering during the daytime as well today . I've been feeding him a lot to try to improve his weight gain , which, until this week, was a little low . He cannot afford to miss a night feed!

purplemurple1 Sun 28-Dec-14 14:43:43

Is he gaining weight, wet nappies etc ok?

As pp said how do you know he is crying maybe he just doesn't want a feed in the night.

purplemurple1 Sun 28-Dec-14 14:46:04

Cross posts.

How much help are you getting from your dp, if you're over tired you will sleep through anything, can he wake you every three hours in the night?also have you had your iron levels checked as low iron makes you very tired.

piazilla Sun 28-Dec-14 15:13:53

I've not really been waking dh at feeding times to be honest as I am breast feeding and he is working long hours. Instead we had kind of worked out that I feed, then afterwards I wake him so he can nappy change and burp him. I've piled back into bed while this was happening ... The other night we both slept through our alarms ...
Ds gained good weight and had the right amount of nappies etc this week ... But at only 4 weeks , I know he shouldn't be sleeping right through , surely!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 28-Dec-14 16:18:00

Gosh I wish I had that problem, I'm the lightest sleeper imaginable and woke up every time DD moved, and still do now she's 13 months.

Did your mum say the baby was crying a lot/sounding distressed? DD would not have gone back to sleep if she was hungry, just screamed progressively louder and louder until someone fed her. Could you set a few different alarms? Loudest possible setting? Does your DH sleep through it all too?

piazilla Sun 28-Dec-14 20:29:23

He doesn't seem to get louder .. That's one of the problems! He groans and complains but doesn't reach yelling stages ! I'm paranoid about him missing feeds because he was jaundiced at about 4 days old and we had a bit of a task to get his weight up!
We both set out alarms for a feed just before midnight and both slept through them! Baby never complained and my mum ended up coming into the room to wake us! What do other heavy sleepers do I wonder? I'm going to buy an industrial strength alarm clock tomorrow!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now