Talk

Advanced search

2 year old sleep struggles

(5 Posts)
MummySparkle Sat 27-Dec-14 20:26:26

Getting him to sleep is a nightmare. He'll be 2 in a few weeks and I have to sit next to his cot to get him to sleep at night. Sometimes I'm up here for hours and im so sick of it. We tried leaving him to cry, but after an hour I couldn't bear it anymore.

Every night He fights sleep, he's obviously tired, but he won't stay lying down in his cot. Gets up, stands at the bars and whinges at me. When he stops whining I lie him back down, say 'bedtime' give his tummy a quick rub and then sit back down next to the cot. And repeat until he finally stops getting back up. Once he decides to go to sleep he drops off quite quickly with no help from me.

I'm at the end of my tether - I need my evenings back otherwise I'm going to go mad.

He's just started waking up in the night and refusing to sleep unless he comes in with us. I don't mind, but we also have a 6month old and there's not enough room. It's always me that ends up sleeping at a strange angle and it's giving me back problems. I don't know how to make this better

TerrifiedMothertobe Sat 27-Dec-14 21:33:36

Dreadful you poor thing. Two is an age when they battle it. As you have a newish baby, does he have a new bed? Also he over tired? Maybe an earlier bedtime.

Otherwise, it's awful and hard, but you may have to leave him. It gets easier after the third night.

MummySparkle Sat 27-Dec-14 23:26:47

We moved his room around about 7 months ago, but after a few nights that didn't make a major difference. He still has his same cot as he's always had.

I think he is overtired - it's been especially hard this week as we've been visiting relatives every. And im finding it really hard to get both of them ready for bed when they both want to be in bed right there and then. And when baby is crying to be fed she usually comes first otherwise I can't hear myself think to get DS ready.

I just don't think I can leave him to cry - I think my problem is I'm too soft!!

LBOCS Sat 27-Dec-14 23:28:36

We're having the same issues with 25mo DD. I have no solutions but am watching with interest...

MummySparkle Sun 28-Dec-14 08:36:48

LBOCS it's good to know I'm not alone. It's exhausting isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now