Talk

Advanced search

18month old sleep issues

(6 Posts)
slushie Tue 23-Dec-14 14:01:57

Dd2 is 18months. She was a really bad sleeper until 11months when she started sleeping through and napping for 2 -3 hours in the day.

The last couple of months it started going downhill again. Most nights she wakes between 12 & 1 and is awake until 3ish. She doesn't really cry but whines and talks to herself. It's loud enough to wake me. She also has stopped napping for so long in the day and will nap for 1 1/2 hrs max. These combined mean she is so overtired and grumpy.

I am finding days extremely difficult I feel like nothing I do is ok and whatever I try sets her off on a tantrum (I know some of them will be her age) but it just feels constant.

Has anyone got any suggestions about what I can do?

Cakeismymaster Tue 23-Dec-14 21:04:05

Nothing to suggest just showing solidarity as my dd is the same, crap sleeper untill 13 mths then slept thru for about3 blissful weeks and then downhill from there until now, 16 mths. Yes have had colds and yes she is teething with molars and no I can't give calpol and especially not ibuprofen at bedtime as it sends her totally hyper!

Littlebagoflaughter Tue 23-Dec-14 21:25:17

Here to show solidarity too, ds1 (19months) has done all sorts of things over the past four months including being awake for up to four hours in the middle of the night. Our second son was born 6 weeks ago and we had nights where he slept better than his big brother! I'd be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions as we reached the conclusion that we simply had to ride it out and he has been much better the past couple of weeks - dh has gone from being up half the night to not being woken most nights. He has also found that he can just resettle him by speaking through the baby monitor intercom. We had a really bad tantrum phase which seems to have eased for now.
Wish I could offer some constructive advice but just wanted to give you hope that it won't last forever.

McKitten84 Tue 23-Dec-14 21:27:11

I believe around this age they a developmental period, so could be sleep regression, sorry no advice other than it will end eventually x

slushie Tue 23-Dec-14 22:49:32

Thank you for the support. It does help to know I'm not alone and it's normal.

caker Tue 23-Dec-14 22:59:48

The awake for hours thing is developmental - DD used to wake for exactly two hours. She didn't cry, was just active and chatty. I co sleep and just tried to ignore her as best I could to be honest! I figured if I had my eyes closed I was getting a bit of rest even if she was climbing on me. She's still a rubbish sleeper but that particular phase of rubbish sleep is over touch wood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now