Talk

Advanced search

Are cot bumpers safe for an older baby?

(13 Posts)
gizmosmama Sun 21-Dec-14 20:42:29

I know cot bumpers are not recommended for newborns due to risk of smothering but are they safe for an older baby? DS is always banging his head on the sides of the cot then waking up crying. He's 10 months old, are cot bumpers an option now?

SoonToBeSix Sun 21-Dec-14 20:43:28

No , they are not safe at any age.

SoonToBeSix Sun 21-Dec-14 20:44:18

Only solution would be a travel cot with a decent mattress.

bumpiesonamission Sun 21-Dec-14 20:48:46

I've had a cot bumper on lo cot since he's been in there at 7mnths old. He plays peek a boo with it but that's the only risk I see, well as well as the dummies getting stuck behind it. He can't get stuck behind it or under, he pulls it down but has never slept up against him.

Obviously that's my opinion and choice and I wouldn't have had it on for a little one, especially before he started crawling around the cot.

tortoisesarefab Sun 21-Dec-14 20:49:22

You can get these mesh bumpers m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/airwrap-mesh-cot-system-4-sided/p231391274#page_loaded I used them for dd and they did the job

thatstoast Sun 21-Dec-14 20:52:26

I use airwrap as I'm happy it has less risks that traditional cot bumpers with ties. It doesn't provide a huge amount of padding so not sure if it would solve the problem. Does he wake up a lot during the night because of the banging? Or could it be another issue?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 21-Dec-14 20:53:47

they are supposed to be removed when they can get up on their hands and knees as they could use them to try and climb out. I never used any for either of my children

ShadowKat Sun 21-Dec-14 21:12:09

DS2 (15 months) likes climbing on things.

We've never used a bumper on his cot, but if we'd had one, I'm pretty sure that he'd have been trying to climb on top of it almost as soon as he'd started pulling himself up to standing.

tortoisesarefab Sun 21-Dec-14 22:35:09

The air wrap just flattens if they try and stand on it

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 21-Dec-14 23:01:16

No, they are dangerous and a strangulation/suffocation hazard.

Only1scoop Sun 21-Dec-14 23:01:53

Air wrap only here.

Clearlymisunderstood Sun 21-Dec-14 23:02:59

Have a look at the facebook page justice for Preston he was 14 months I think, the ties snapped and he got strangled by the bumper. They really aren't safe at any age

gamerchick Sun 21-Dec-14 23:06:02

Bumpers Imo are fine for little uns but once they start standing up in the cot or sitting up even then get rid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now