Talk

Advanced search

9 week old wakes hourly

(18 Posts)
RainbowInACloud Thu 18-Dec-14 04:25:02

I am at my wits end with my 9 week old DS. He wakes during the night constantly sometimes every 20 mins. He only settles if I put him on the boob for a short feed. He then falls asleep but wakes very soon after. I've tried dummy but he spits it out, shush pat but he always ends up crying, white noise which calms him but doesn't make him sleep. We co sleep and he's cuddled next to me. I don't know what else to try.
Anyone the same or have any advice?

RainbowInACloud Thu 18-Dec-14 08:46:51

Bump

scottygirl5 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:24:39

I've been through phases like this with both my girls. Has it been constant since birth or could it be a phase? Is he warm enough? Going through a growth spurt/cluster feeding? What's sleep like during the day? With DD1 I just fed all the time and she eventually grew out of it, but I won't say how long it took! DD2 can sometimes go back to sleep with handholding, we have constant white noise all night, except during feeds.

RainbowInACloud Thu 18-Dec-14 15:42:22

He'd been pretty much like this since birth. He's similar in the day but I can cope better as I'm up and about with my 2 older children. He is maybe slightly better in the day actually- I think he likes the noise when he's sleeping.
Thanks for responding btw.

scottygirl5 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:34:04

That sounds so tough, I find even a few nights of waking that frequently a killer. What happens if your DP tries to settle him away from the smell of milk? Or might he sleep better in a crib where the milk smell isn't as strong? I'd definitely try using white noise to define feeding vs sleeping times, maybe cosy up the crib a bit too? Possibly all things you've tried but just wanted to reply, I feel your pain! If nothing works I'd hang on till he can latch and unlatch himself so that you might be able to doze through some of the feeds.

Kelly1814 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:38:28

Was he premature/low birth weight? Mine did this for 5 months. I nearly lost my mind and will never, ever, have another baby. But she was a 4 pound tiddler...

Get your DH to take turns with you?

Quitelikely Thu 18-Dec-14 18:41:04

Have you considered a ten o clock formula feed.

RainbowInACloud Thu 18-Dec-14 21:23:46

DH off tomorrow and so we"ve swapped-I'm doing this part of the night and handing him to DH at 1am so I can hopefully get some sleep. Not sure how he'll manage as he doesn't have boobs but we now have a bottle and some formula and we're going to try that so I can at least have one sleep tonight.
He wasn't prem although I am very petite and DH is bigger so my babies are always feeding as they have a lot of weight o gain. It was just nowhere near this bad with the other 2!
Thanks for all your advice btw- it's nice to know there's others out there.
Fingers crossed for tonight x

solenneguest Sun 21-Dec-14 09:13:18

I have a similar problem with my 10 week old - reading posts on mumsnet it sounds like a common problem. I reckon it's developmental and that in their own time they will start sleeping longer. Any chance you can go to bed when he does for a bit even of it's only 8pm? I've been doing that (well, he usually settles at 7...) And at least I get a little more sleep then.

solenneguest Sun 21-Dec-14 09:15:05

PS let us know how formula works for you! Was wondering whether to try it myself!

RainbowInACloud Sun 21-Dec-14 16:37:52

It worked a treat! DS settled with me, I fed him around midnight then took him to DH. He didn't wake again until 3.30 which is unheard of. I heard him cry from the other room so gave him a small bf. DH quickly resettled him until 6.30! We're going to continue bottle at the 11-12ishfeed.
Hope it works for you too.

solenneguest Sun 21-Dec-14 18:08:56

Wow! What volume did you give?

RainbowInACloud Mon 22-Dec-14 02:53:39

I prepared 3 oz but he took about 2oz. Not a lot and he wasn't that good at taking it initially but seemed to do the trick. Did it again tonight at 11 and he's just up now.
Such a difference for us from every half an hour or so.

solenneguest Mon 22-Dec-14 03:13:52

It does seem heaps better!! Is your dh giving him the formula or just settling him?

RainbowInACloud Mon 22-Dec-14 08:11:37

Giving him the formula and settling him although it seems to knock him out a bit more so he needs less settling. Last night wasn't as good after 3ish but he was very snuffly so think he has a cold.

solenneguest Mon 22-Dec-14 08:57:10

Oh no hope he gets better soon. Sterimar spray very good for unblocking tiny noses (just purified sea water no medicine in it)

RainbowInACloud Mon 22-Dec-14 10:50:25

Will try some smile how are you getting on with your LO?

solenneguest Mon 22-Dec-14 12:23:02

I've been lucky the past two nights he had slept between 7pm and 1am but then does by the time he has fed wakes an hour later for more until 7am. Will see how we go and might consider formula if I get to exhausted. Are you feeling less tired?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now