Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning

(10 Posts)
monkeyblonde Wed 17-Dec-14 14:23:20

My 10 month old DS wakes at the same times every night for a bottle -11.30pm and 2.30am. Coupled with this he wakes up between 4.30am and 5am every morning. With a 3 year old too I' nearly dead on my feet.

Please give me your tips on how to stop the night time bottles. I could cope with the early wakings if I had had a decent sleep beforehand, at the moment it feels as though I can't cope with solving the bottles and sleep at once.

Although he is obviously after the bottle when he wakes he is not agitated but will not settle without it. I have dropped both feeds to 120ml, what stage should it get to before he stops waking for them?

Sunbeam18 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:58:00

With you, OP. Looking for answers - got same issue with my 18mo. Losing the plot.

roofio87 Fri 19-Dec-14 08:22:44

my ds was about 10ms when I just stopped offering milk at night. When he woke I got him up, gave him water and distracted him like mad, but gave him no milk. by the third night he was sleeping through and hasn't had milk at night since (he's not 14ms)
Now, I'm not saying that would work for you, but it's how it happened here. It was a horrid couple of nights being up lots and for long periods but he got the message soon enough!

roofio87 Fri 19-Dec-14 08:24:07

Also he had been to stay at pils and slept through there so I knew how was waking out of habit at home and not hunger!!

Jeffery Fri 19-Dec-14 19:27:07

I've recently night weaned my 10 month old. Me and dh took it in turns to do half hour sessions, we did anything to settle her father than feed.. Sing, rock, pat in cot. Offered water to rule out thirst.
The bad nights lasted a weekend, she screamed for 3hours the first night... the ngot increasingly better and she has just slept through 3 nights in a row and I have my boobs back at night! Hoping tonight will be four nights!
Another tip we were given was to make the first feed obviously morning, turn lights on, be pleased to see her, say good morning etc. We set 6am as the earliest we allow morning.
Good luck!

tealover1985 Sun 21-Dec-14 11:18:52

To those who managed it at 10 months, are they now sleeping pretty much 12 hours? We need to do the same with ds 11 months who still wakes every 3 hours. I didn't know whether to keep a dream feed in case he is genuinely hungry or do you think this would just confuse him? He doesn't eat much in the day but I think it's just a vicious circle with so much night time milk.

Jeffery Mon 22-Dec-14 11:02:33

Tea... YES! Now for 6 nights in a row she has gone to bed at 7.30 and slept till between 6am and 7am! Its incredible!!!
One night she cried out and i gave her water in her cot and she went straight back to sleep!!!!

Im still not sleeping through the night however after being so used to getting up every few hours!

tealover1985 Tue 23-Dec-14 09:11:11

That sounds amazing. I need to do this. He seems to drink loads the first time he wakes though so worried we're in for a fewvery rough nights. He just wwon't eat and drink enough before bed, very very active baby and eating is just too boring atm.

Jeffery Tue 23-Dec-14 12:46:51

Im lucky in that my dd eats her body weight and more so i knew she was definitely not hungry.

Last night she made it a week of sleeping through! The change of something so simple of cutting night feeds is amazing!

Jeffery Tue 23-Dec-14 12:49:49

By simple i mean hard work and stressful... ! but it she actually only cried at night for 3 nights!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now