Talk

Advanced search

DS 22 months waking earlier and earlier in the night - WHY?!

(5 Posts)
snottagecheese Tue 16-Dec-14 23:32:20

So... he was a diabolical sleeper until 11 months when we did some CC, and after that, until about 19 months, he slept through till around 5-5.30am most nights, and then would come into bed for a bit more sleep till about 6.30am. Brilliant!

BUT since about September, he's been waking earlier and earlier. For a couple of months it was any time after about 11.30pm (or not till 2-3am on a (rare) good night), but for the past 3 weeks or so any time after about 10pm seems to be fair game. I have no idea why, and no idea how to fix it!

He goes to sleep on his own, in his own bed, completely happily, and has done for nearly a year - so it's not as though we cuddle/feed him to sleep and he wakes up wondering where we've gone. But when he wakes in the night the only thing that will stop him being upset is a cuddle and then to sleep with me or DH. He will NOT go back to sleep in his cot. We've tried staying with him in his room - no dice. He wants to actually be picked up. I wouldn't mind sleeping with him so much but he then often wakes multiple times after that, so my nights are totally broken.

I don't feed him in the night and he doesn't ask for it, so that's not an issue. We've tried a few nights of CC but that was an unmitigated disaster, he just cried intermittently for ages and I couldn't do that to him again.

Help! Please!

taxi4ballet Wed 17-Dec-14 19:18:50

What time does he go to bed?

purplemurple1 Wed 17-Dec-14 19:28:17

Could it be time to drop his nap?

snottagecheese Thu 18-Dec-14 23:36:09

Thanks so much for replying - sorry, i thought no one had responded and only just had time to check back!

He goes to bed between 7.30 and 8pm - maybe I should bring it forward a bit? It's just tricky as his sister is 4 years older and they have dinner and bath time together - couldn't really do it much earlier for her, and would be a massive faff to do separately. But maybe I should try.

As for dropping his nap - crikey, well, I guess I could try that too - isn't 22 months a bit young? His sister didn't drop hers completely till about 33 months (though she was a DREADFUL sleeper and also an early waker, 5.30am from about age 2 till nearly 4). Although he's getting tireder later in the afternoon, if I take him for his 'nap walk' (he naps in the buggy) between 1.30 and 2 he generally goes pretty quickly (within 10 mins or so, without any fuss - glazed eyes etc) and usually sleeps from 1.5-2 hours. Should I wake him after an hour, maybe? Seems so counter-intuitive...

purplemurple1 Fri 19-Dec-14 14:12:02

Mines 16 months and when he doesn't have yet another cold from nursery he only needs 1hr in the day, normally 12.30 to 13.30 and then sleeps 7.30/8ish to 5ish. (He dropped to one nap at 9months though so we had our warning signs.)

Personlly I'd try cutting down the nap and bring bedtime earlier if needed. Maybe he could have his dinner when his sister is having her afterschool snack, or she could have early dinner and a little supper after her bath while you put him to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now